Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero screen

p.mole1

Do these make much difference on the track? I only have a 1.4 SS and it accelerates up to 100 mph then that's about it.

Will it make a worthwhile improvement?, I am looking at doing track days at Croft which has long straights. I was looking at the Caterham aero screen kit which comes with everything, do you think this is the best value option.

Has anybody just run without a windscreen and no aero screen? as I am looking at doing this as a cheap track day option and just fitting some captive nuts, however I am not keen on the lack of mirrors

It makes a big difference. With the windscreen you lift off and you feel like you are braking, not so with aero. I wouldn't want to drive without an aero, it makes a difference compared to no screen of any sort as it kicks the buffeting air over your head.

I made my own, cost £30 and a weekends work. Takes 10 mins to swop screens. View/experience is so much better. On my low powered car it is worth about + 8 mph and acceleration is better. Rain and most flies go over your head, birds and stones don`t. Very little turbulence. Did try no screen but far too much wind and stones and flies and................ Overall aero is the way to go if you don`t mind getting wet!

• Area Representative

I went aero with my 1.4 - it is definitely a great experience and even my gf likes its!

Just make sure you wear impact resistant goggles.

If you go aero, you will also need half doors which aren't cheap, but significantly reduce buffeting and stop stones being thrown back into the cockpit.

Thanks,

Seems like the way to go I am only looking to use it on track days. It should give me a bit more down the long straights at Croft. I still like the windscreen on the road as it gives me the option of using the hood when it rains and its cold up North! Tom did you fit some form of captive nuts?

If you mean as secures windscreen stanchions, as Caterham supply as retro fit, yes.  My system is an aluminium mount similar to brooklands type with 2 removable acrylic formed screens and mirrors attached. works a treat and I can remove the passenger side for that last 1 mph!!  Fit is as standard windscreen.  I also made a set of clip on aluminium doors that work better than half doors. Half doors tend to push a lot of air into your ear, lower doors don`t....not many people know that !!

• 1 month later...