Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhausted

Mylespeed

I have an S3 k ex Academy car now with 151bhp (every one helps). It is held back by the standard exhaust and I am looking to go 4.1 or 4.2.1 but am a bit shocked by the prices from CC, Powerspeed etc.

Is there a way round shelling out close to £2k (fitting, tuning etc) ?

Just wondered if I was missing a trick?

Ta

Speak to Matt Simpson (BTTC driver) at Simpson Exhausts in Langley. They made me an awesome complete 4:2:1 system for my R400K for approx. £1400 fitted.

It is a work of art and increased the torque noticeably whilst reducing the dB level significantly.

Ive always taken the advice that the difference between 4-1 vs 4-2-1 will be pretty small in the real world. Yes there will be difference, but not necessarily worth £2k! Therefore Ive remained with my 4-1 long primary race exhaust.   

When I had mine made by Matt Simpson I found the torque increase noticeable - so much so in fact that I'm often in a gear higher than with the old system. This is especially good when doing track days.

It was Dave Andrews who advised me that if I was having a system made then 4:2:1 is the way to go.

I have a recent, last month, price of 1,500 from Powerspeed for 4:2:1 with 7" repackable silencer without a Cat, or 1,680 +Vat if with 200cell built in Sports Cat. These are for the actual item without fitting but with free postage - I would probably collect.

I am in the market for a Powerspeed 4:2:1, but having just bought some Nitrons piggy bank is rattling a bit, so currently on hold. If there is the possibility of a group buy negotiation for a reduction on the 1,500 then count me in.

I think that with exhausts "the more you know, the less you know". My car makes peak bhp at 7,100 but on track it seems to pull like a train to about 5,500 and then run out of puff creeping its way to 7,000.  At the Goodwood Spring Sprint it was struggling to get beyond 105 mph down the straight whereas another 7 was reaching 120 mph.  I have put an Aeroscreen on which should help but the engine needs to breathe better. My understanding is that 4.1 is better for top end and 4.2.1 is better for mid range.

There again I know nothing!

• 1 month later...

Went with Simpsons in the end.  Matt built and fitted a 4-1, beautiful job for £1400.  Then went to Track 'n Road for a rolling road remap........4 hours later and a lot of wizardy talk, car now pulls smoothly throughout the rev range up to an eye watering 8,400 rpm!

Still didnt help at Brighton - no corners!