Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problems re-fitting the diff.......

rgrigsby

Spent the day putting various bits of the car back together today but got completely stuck re-fitting the diff. We can get the top bolt through OK but the two lower bolts just won't bite at all, having spent nearly 2hrs moving the diff about trying to get them to line up we've given up.

Any ideas? is there a cunning trick, we've tried moving the diff about on a jack and just generally moving it around by hand but the bolts just won't do up at all.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hi Rob

This may sound obvious but are you using the right bolts.

Will the bolts fit if the diff is out of the car ?

If the top bolt is in then the bottom 2 bolts shouldline up easily. if these bolts will fit without any spacer washers then you can then centre diff on top bolt and then fit spacers on lower bolts.

Hope this helps

Dave

I have to confess we haven't tried the bolts direclty in the diff off the car but it's the only two bolts left in the box that even look vaguely the right size so I think they are the right ones. They seem to get amazingly close but just won't catch on the the thread in the diff.

I'll double check they are the rights ones tomorrw, there's a bit of movement on the diff so it should be possible to tilt it slightly and attempt to do up the bolts directly.

If I don't get anywhere it'll be time to call in the experts!! (ie give up and get Chris at the 7's workshop to sort it out *smile*)

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 22 Feb 2003 22:05:31

Rob,

My personal trick is to put two thinner bolts through each of the top bushes which hold the diff in approx the right position, then fit the bottom two. Finally fit the top bolt using a light hammer if slight persuasion is required!

The correct bolts also have the appearance that they were 1/2" and have had a M12 thread cut onto them!!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Rob

Had the same problem a few weeks ago. Firstly, we ground a taper on the bolts to help locate them, Then put a large screwdriver through the top mountings, this gave enough movement to locate the lower bolts. Top bolt still needed some persuation to line up.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Phil.