Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500D Stack Display - What does the '5' mean?

justcallmemac

Good morning,

Was out in the R500D, (manual), enjoying a blat at the weekend and noticed a large numeric '5' suddenly appear in the middle of the Stack digital display.

It's never happened before and I can't find any reference to it in the documentation. I don't think it's a warning of any sort. Might disconnect the battery later to see if it disappears but in the meantime, any ideas?

Stack.JPG.d38123a06d59e369d29fd5c1c0b85ba9.JPG

Thanks

PS. Thinking out loud could this have anything to do with gear selection on a sequential box? Maybe those with a sequential can advise. If so, my manual has had a sudden case of mistaken identity and regardless, the gear I am in has never been displayed. (Car is currently in neutral by the way and the '5' does not change regardless of gear)

• Support Team

I suspect it is gear position indicator for a sequential. Why it's appeared is a different question but maybe you hit a combination of buttons - another combo might remove it! The most common problem people have is of accidentally switching from mph to kph and then they don't know how to get it back!

Hi Jonathan,

I contacted Stack and also 213 Performance Ltd, the UK distributor.  Incredibly, I had a detailed response from Andrew English (213 Director) within half an hour and confirmation that they will attempt to identify the cause of the problem. Talk about fantastic service!!

Anyway I've pasted his response below for the possible benefit of others.

All the best.

Steve

Things have changed with regard to STACK in the UK recently!

STACK in the UK closed at the end of November, and all commercial and technical activities were relocated to the head office of Auto Meter in Sycamore, IL. USA. Peter Allen and I started up this new business (213 Performance), and amongst other things are doing some work for Auto Meter (The American owners of the STACK brand) looking after their European customer. We have been appointed as the factory approved service and repair facility for the STACK brand in Europe by Auto Meter.

We believe the problem you are seeing is because the dash was built to work with both sequential, and “H” pattern gearboxes. The gear sensor input on the “H” pattern cars was shorted to ground, and the gear number was not displayed. When fitted to a sequential gearbox, the input was connected to a gear pot, and displayed the gear selected.

Until we program a unit up, we cannot confirm 100% that this is the case, but we believe you are looking for a connection for the gear pot somewhere close to the gearbox, and we think that you are likely to find that whatever was fitted to short this connection is damaged or missing.

We will attempt to program up an R500 dash, and confirm this theory in the next 24 hours.

Best regards,

Andrew.

Latest from Andrew at 213 Performance below. Again, I'm hugely impressed by his speedy assistance and I'm posting as this could prove useful info for others. 

Thanks.

We have just programmed up an R500 dash, and you do need to short the gear input to ground. This will make the gear number disappear.

The gear input is on Pin S of the military connector that plugs on to the back of the dash. Unfortunately the chassis loom was not made by STACK, so we have no information about where you need to look to find the connection. However, my money would be in it ending up in the transmission tunnel somewhere close to the gearbox.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

As a new start-up business, we appreciate all feedback (Particularly positive – Its good for our ego’s!!!!). We have a fully equipped electronics workshop located in the heart of “Motorsport Valley”. As well as our other electronics work, we are able to undertake all service and repair work on STACK products. We work very closely with the factory (who have been incredibly supportive, and remain committed to the UK and European markets). We would appreciate the word being spread through the Lotus 7 community!

Best regards,

Andrew.

The gear input is on Pin S of the military connector that plugs on to the back of the dash. Unfortunately the chassis loom was not made by STACK, so we have no information about where you need to look to find the connection. However, my money would be in it ending up in the transmission tunnel somewhere close to the gearbox.

Have you got the Caterham wiring diagram for the Stack dash for your model?

If you can't find the existing connector near the gearbox you could fit a new earth from the dash's connector.

Jonathan

PS: I've told Geoff Brown and Michael Calvert about the new company and their sentiments.