Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero screens

Jeremy Latham Smith

Thinking of getting one of these for the summer.

Caterham have one on their site for £350, inc mirrors. If I understand correctly this can be removed and the screen re fitted quickly.

I was told this was so you could change it at track days and then put the normal one back on afterwards.

Could someone please confirm if this is the case.

Also has anyone purchased one of them, what are they like, how easy are they to change etc.

PS If anyone has a spare one going for less than Caterhams price I could be interested.

Many thanks in advance for feedback.

Jeremy

If they're the same as ours [ie the old fashioned type, as seen on vintage cars] they're good fun although you need to wear goggles or a helmet. Makes 60mph feel like 115! I put ours on two years ago and haven't taken them off. I would imagine that it would be a bit of a hassle to take them on and off repeatedly but it would be possible. You may be able to find some s/h for less than the £350 required for new ones. I bought our for £120 s/h [unused], without a mirror, which I fitted later.

The Interchangable Aeroscreens have only just recently gone on sale at Caterham(see their website listing 2 options) so I doubt any used ones will be for sale just yet.

I am very interested myself although I have heard the are quite a poor fit along the scuttle, can anyone confirm this.

Edited by - tonyr on 22 Feb 2003 13:40:48

You are very right, the newer interchangable type, only just available from Caterham and strongly to be recomended (if your a nutter 😬)

I would be happy to tell you anything you want to know, been there done that, fitted and insanely driving now for a couple of months, only one word of warning, once you've gone screenless why put it back ??

James

TonyR- fit along the scuttle is variable on mine (ie not great on passenger side). However, since there is so much wind coming at you anyway, a little more is hardly the end of the world and I suspect it is still "deflecting" a good chunk of it. (Also not on my side and so it's only the petty strut which catches it).

Jeremy- I have run the car with both.

Changing is a bit of a pig on mine on account of the holes drilled to access the nuts on the inside of the cockpit being too small to accept any normal socket set and the fact I don't have a bit big enough *eek* to widen them. As a result I remove some of the cockpit panels and have to replace them which takes some time c1.5 hrs after forgetting correct allen key etc. I now understand that Caterham have fixed the mounting points so that you can remove the screen just with an allen key from outside, which should make it much easier and quicker.

There was also a bit of an issue with the heated screen. Although it had been fitted with detatchable plugs, the holes in the scuttle were too small to pull them through *mad*, so I had to do a bit of rewiring. I don't know whether this has been redesigned now. You also have to be careful not to rip the windscreen rubber.

So is it worth it?? Absolutely, especially for track days- although I tend to attach it first and drive it there and back. I have only reattached my windscreen because I often go away for a few days and don't fancy the car filling up with water overnight etc. Also you need even more garb (eg helmet) before you can drive it.

Mark

Don't own a digitial camera. (Aeroscreen also not attached at present). Someone else maybe able to help, otherwise try Caterham.

Sorry!

Nick

PS: if time is not an issue, I'm sure I'll be able to swing by a mate of mine who has a camera when the screen is back on- but that's not likely for a month or so.

Edited by - Nick W on 25 Feb 2003 10:23:18