Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Calipers - Golf Mk IV - Handbrake Cable Nipple

AdamQ

I'm in the process of switching from standard Sierra rear calipers to the VW Golf Mk IV calipers.  I just wondered what folks who've already done this did to solve the problem of the different handbrake attachment at the caliper end.

Need to go from this:

http://images.lteplatform.com/images/products/600x600/108590268.jpg

to this:

http://media.carparts4less.co.uk/images/products/600x600/108441548.jpg

I'm struggling to find just the nipples that could be soldered onto the existing cable.  Best thought so far is to drill out an appropriately-sized bolt and solder that on, but any alternative suggestions would be welcome ...

Many thanks.

Adam,

I have done this conversion.

I brought a handbrake cable off a csr from caterham. This has the correct end fittings, however it is too long.

I fitted it to the car to work out the correct length of inner wire and outer casing. Then sent it back to speedy cables who shortened it and fitted a new end fitting which matched the original.

If you want to re-use the existing cable, you could try contacting speedy cables who may be able to cut the old end fittings off your existing cable and fit the ones you need.

When mounted at the 12 o'clock position on our de dion tubes, the golf mk4 caliper's bleed nipple is below the top of the brake cylinder. Meaning you will never get the air out of them on the car. Took me and my brother 1.5 hours to work that one out!

The only way i could bleed them was to fit new flexible brake lines, so you can hold the caliper with the bleed nipple at the top off the car. I brought the brake lines from Hel as you can specify the end fitting and thread sizes. From memory, the golf calipers have a different thread where the brake line screws into the caliper in comparison to the sierras so the solid caterham de dion brake lines dont fit anyway.

If you are using caterham 13" 8 spoke anthracite wheels you will have clearance issues with the inside of the rim and brake caliper body without grinding the top of the caliper of making a new de dion ear or caliper carrier. 15" 8 spoke anthracite and MB mag alloys will be ok though with no grinding.

Hope this all helps!

Regards,

Chris Perry

Hi Chris,

Many thanks indeed for the comprehensive response - greatly appreciated and very helpful.

I've found some threaded steel balls of about the right size - I'm going to try cutting the rectangular slot bit off the ends of the cables and then round and maybe thread the remaining bit and then screw and solder the balls on.  We'll see - if that doesn't work, Speedy Cables will get a call ...

As luck would have it, I've just bought some flexible rear brake lines.  You're right about the thread into the VW calipers - it appears to be M12 × 1.0.

I was expecting clearance issues with 13" 8 spokes - it's good to have it confirmed - there appears to be plenty of material that could be safely removed.

Thanks again,

Adam