Click here if you are having website access problems ×

trimming boot cover advice?

arty

Hi all, I have removed my cage and fitted a standard roll bar but the boot cover does not fit properly now. I need to trim a bit off so I can pull it sideways a bit more.

Any advice one how to trim or what not to do. I have fears of cutiing it and then it tearing.

Hi Jim,

The diameter of the new roll bar is 45mm and the diameter of the cage i removed is 30mm. Thus the boot cover is prevented from reaching the outside /side fastenings due to the thickness of the bar. I can't get the front fastening on either.

I'm not sure that the answer is to trim it yet and just wondered if there was any general advice before making a decision. At first it looks like i need to cut the cover around the 'inside' of the hole but there is a lot of stitching there.

I meant to ask at our meeting last week but forgot because there were so many cars there to look at.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Jonathan's advice is a good starting point and may be the cheapest.  A few things also to consider...

Once "hooding vinyl" edges are cut they tend to fray and open up as you would imagine. Any cut edges will need to be reinforced with strong stitching.  Hood material is also a devil to work with and you'll need a pretty robust sewing machine for any DIY.  I spent a day trying to make simple door straps for my 7 and gave up, but that was mainly due to the fact I've never used one of these things before.

A local upholsterer might give you a reasonable quote to make the cuts in the original boot cover that are a little oversize for your roll bar  He could then make up 2 squares of hooding vinyl with neat 40mm apertures to mark in situ and stitch onto the upper surface of your boot cover with a neat finish and reinforcement where needed. Hooding vinyl is different from furnishing vinyl, but is you can source / get samples on EBay.

Will you have similar problems with the roll bar rear diagonals?