Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjusting Ride Height

Casbar

I've recently changed my shocks on my live axle to adj Leda's. I could do with some guidance on correct ride height. I set the ride height to 155mm in front of the rear wheels and 140 mm where the floor pan finishes (as advised by Catherham).

When in the car, with a full load of fuel, the ride height drops to 145 at the rear wheels and 135 at the front of the floor pan, then there isn't 10mm difference between front and rear.

Therefore, do you have to set the rear much higher out of the car (165ish) so when in, the 155 - 140 is maintained. The rear will obviously drop more than the front.

Robert

There is no correct 'mm' answer. The 10mm difference thing is a way of getting everything close.

Adjusting the rear is dead easy because it doesn't affect any other geometry. Try things out. It doesn't take much movement to drastically change the feel of the car. Spend a day of going out and driving your favourite local road, returning to base and jacking the rear ride height up a couple more turns. Take notes. Concentrate on the subjective impressions of the drive rather than trying to be specific where you haven't actually made specific observations.

You will soon find the right setting for your preferences and for the state of the roads (state of your tyres) at the time.

That is the 'correct' ride height.