Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New metal for lighter engines.

dino ferrana

According to Auto Express the Aussies have developed a new Magnesium alloy for engine blocks. It is a quarter the weight of cast iron but apparently stronger than steel!

Would make an excellent material for a Caterham engine by the sound of it! Imagine a 2.2 VX or BDR unit with none of the weight problems!

Currently being tested in a VW Lupo 🙆🏻 Why? OK so it improves emissions and fuel economy but surely something more exciting could have been used?

It is apparently an entirely new alloy of Magnesium (doesn't say what with). I imagine as it is being tested in such a mainstream car that they have or can overcome a lot of the corrosion and stress problems. Afterall elemental magnensium is flamable!

Imagine how light a K-Series could be in this metal! It would be bike engine light with more power and torque!

I read a couple of weeks ago that the new Carrera GT is using forged alumminium pistons! Not something I have heard of before? Must have weight advantages?

The Young's Modulus of Magnesium and alloys is around 45 GPa which is about 60% of Aluminium.

The Young's Modulus of Aluminium is around 50% of Cast Iron so a Mag block will tend to be quite flexible in comparison.

Mag alloys are used in quite a few high performance bike engines so it should be possible to deal with the relatively low rigidity of mag castings but it isn't as simple as changing on material for another.

I would worry a little about fire. It is unlikley that the engine will ever overheat to such an extent as to cause a fire but a good petrol fire could get hot enough.

I remeber a dreadful fire when a Techno F1 car with cast magnesium bulkheads caught fire, and couldn't be put out.

Aluminium will burn as well but it takes temperatures of around 2000deg C to set it alight.