Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bonnet tape! Where this weekend?

rynicolson

Anyone know where I can get the self adhesive foam tape on "the high street" (I need it tomorrow!)... last time I bought it from a local Yacht Chandlers....

Any ideas welcome otherwise it'll be rags protecting the paint work. In Scotland so don't suggest going to Caterham / Ratrace etc.

thanks

Tricks...aka darstardly

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Could you possibly use "draught excluder"? I used dark brown from B&Q DIY warehouse (do you have them in Scotland)? It's not as wide as the proper stuff but you could lay a double width. It sticks well, is cheap and comes in long reels. I used some to fill around the regular stuff on my bonnet.

Just a thought

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

• Area Representative

Or you could try self adhesive foam pipe insulation on a roll, which is about twice as wide as you need but is easy to cut.

Any plumbing merchant or B&Q type store should stock it.

I put this on my car as a temporary measure in 1994 and er, it's still there 😳

Crudders

Visit the North Kent Area Website here

Get the yellow pages and look for a local "engineering merchant".

The sort of guy who sells safety gear, nuts bolts, steel stock, tools etc etc. They're more than likely to have some.

I was in same position as you a couple of weeks ago - rang two engineering suppliers, both had it (especially after I'd worked out how to describe it).

Strange as it may sound - you can also use stick on velcro - the fluffy side only. Wife tells me you can pick this up at dressmakers and local market. Works out more expensive though.

All you have to do then is work out a use for the "hooky" side ofthe tape !

Thanks ALL... advice all noted, YES of course we have B&Q warehouses, was in one yesterday but even these huge stores have limited selection... I have all the alternatives, however as a stickler for detail I want to do it properly, velcro retains moisture, therefore wieght! Plumbers tape, most is white or brown... want grey!

Off this morning to a marina to see if they have it, Angus, thanks for the offer but you have other things to concentrate on!

Very sad addition, as a result of cleaning the old tape off I started polishing the inside of the engine bay with alloy cleaner last night... daft or what, now I 've started I'm going to have to finish but I advise not to do this unless you're a complete fanatic ... sore, grazed hands, quarter done... given up!

Have a great weekend and have a blat for me.

Richard