Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator Fan upgrade advice.... std. K Superlight mk.1 - advice on high-flow fan options

C7GCS

re. mk.1 K-series Superlight (supplied with 1800 block from new) :

Summary: "Please advise on the best fan for use with the K-series race radiator setup"

A few year years ago (when in my ownership) the std rad. was swapped out for an alloy race rad. and silicone hoses on the above car.

Now under in my brother's ownership I am looking to assist him a few mechanical overhauls this year.  One of which is to enhance the cooling system as it is. 

I recall my old R500 ran a much bigger fan on the race-rad and possibly a 'push-air' system in addition to a pull-air system from the back - I forget. I guess I could fit a race fan up front and keep the rear mounted fan on a separate overide switch for the best of both worlds?

I also have  Mocal oil cooler to go on, and will drain and re-fill the rad with synthetic - non-water-based coolant when done.

I would be interested to know how people have addressed cooling generally on their 1.8K-series cars these days.

At some point we will dismantle the block, check and de-scale the waterways, but as this engine has never been apart and has still only covered 10,000 miles from new it seems unnecessary to dismantle it yet while its runnig fine (until something like a head-gasket needs doing, or some exhaust porting work is done in future) until such time it is properly re-freshed in years to come.

Thanks in advance for your any advice on parts, hints and tips in this area.

What is it used for? And is there a particular reason to try and improve the cooling?

I don't know about very powerful Ks but there seem to be more reports of overcooling than the opposite nowadays. My guess is that this is because of better radiators.

... re-fill the rad with synthetic - non-water-based coolant when done.

Evans Waterless Coolant? I wouldn't do that if you're worried about peak cooling capacity. It has lower thermal transfer than mixtures of water and ethylene glycol. Probably best to discuss this particular point in one of the existing threads.

Jonathan

Jonathan - thanks for your responses, willdo thanks for that, noted re. coolant properties.  Its a road-car, my brother's pride and joy for high days and holidays and definately a fair weather road only car.  In fact that's why he complains of highish running temps, as when the sun comes out, it comes out on the warmest of days, and if sat in traffic during or after a blat, for any length of time appears to get pretty hot (not surprising I know).  Being a Superlight is a factory supersport based on the 1800K as opposed to the 1600K version I had before this one, ages ago, and always ran sweet and cool no probs.

I have an 1800K Superlight, now 210BHP, I replaced the standard rad and fan with a Radtec rad and a 11" Spal fan, also supplied by Radtec as I used to get overheating problems in stationary or slow traffic on hot days. No problem with temps now in traffic, as Jonathon implies if anything it tends to overcool if using the car on a cooler day, but that sounds like not a problem in your case.

Graham