Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hello again!

Rachael

I had a great weekend *thumbup* then been bored at work all week. *thumbdown*

Moomin is trying to build a 7 from wibble and KevSull has been providing lots of raw material. 😬

I've joined cam7 and am just about surviving the wibblefull inbox I now have 😳

erm... *confused*

P979TMV - As seen on current Caterham advert, back of LF

Ooh, I read a piece for homework this weekend on how the masts/radio frequencies etc around Fylingdales were affecting cars in the neighborhood - lots of work for the men in the recovery business *wink* Also, how the locals were keen as mustard to encourage tourists but now it's becoming a pain in the 🙆🏻

FH

It's all true...

But.

Fylingdales is IMHO, basically a good thing for the area, as it doesn't really detract from the nice things and it helps with the bad one (difficulty of finding local employment since the Cod were fished out of existence).

The same applies to the tourist trade. In general the type of tourists that the NYM National Park appeals to respect the area, spend well with local businesses and rarely cause any problems beyond cluttering up the roads and inflating the value of local cottages then leaving them empty for half the year (which is sad for Whitby / Pickering folk buying their first home).

I know that Devon and Cornwall (near Bath) have actively saught to counter the 2nd Home culture to allow locals to remain in the area, but I think what's really needed is for those in power to realise that it's not just the inner cities that need a degree of regeneration revenue, and tax / grant incentives to encourage busineses into areas where the indigenous industries are no longer viable.

I do think it's a shame that so many similar communities are becoming imbalanced as the young leave to attend college, then never return as there are no jobs, but those of us who really appreciate it just chose to return here anyway and commute 500 miles a week.

Oops...

Sorry for such a serious post in the bikesheds, consider it as the one bit of my homework that the dog didn't eat *wink*

Mark

My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is here with Mavis, under 'Mark's Cars'.