Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wheel runout

p.mole1

I have 14 inch twogates wheels fitted and have been suffering from steering wheel vibration. I have just fitted new tyres and it is still present.

I checked all of my wheels and 3 have about 0.8mm  lateral run out and 2 have about 0.3mm I fitted these to the front and the vibration is gone. I am quite surprised at the level of runout. I have checked the backface of the wheels and it is fine,I even cleaned it down to bare metal and they were all still the same. Are modern wheels this poorly made?

Doesn't look like the wheels have ever suffered from any impact damage, its not so much of a vibration more of a "shimmy" I can feel the run out though the steering wheel. I have fitted the best wheels to the front and it is now fine, it just means I won't be able to rotate them.

I would have thought that alloy wheels would have had almost zero run out since they are machined.

Alloy wheels aren't machined all over so there may be a little run out. They're also surprisingly easily deformed by the amounts you're talking about.

i just can't we the amount of run out you're talking about being an issue. Most tyres, especially after a few miles will be that far out in terms of shape and imbalance. 

Have you checked the balance of the wheels? What you talk of sounds like a dynamic rather than static imbalance, i.e. axially rather than radially across the rim. That wouldn't be easily felt on the rear. 

Have the wheels been statically balanced or dynamically? Are the weights in two planes or just on the centreline of the rim?