Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side mirrors

DRH

Hi Chaps

I have two sets of carbon side mirrors, one set attached to the stanchions when I use the windscreen and the others are on the Caterham carbon Aero screen which look identical.

The lenses on the "Caterham carbon interchangeable Aeroscreen kit" make cars behind look miles away, whereas the others seem to give a normal rear view distance.

Does anyone know what this is about?

If I had interchangeable mirrors i'd be more comfortable with consistent angles of view. Would you prefer that?

Can you add photos of the mirrors? Someone might be able to tell you how easy it would it be to change the glass rather than the whole unit.

Jonathan

PS:

Hi Johnathan

I thought it might be something to do with track days, I imagined the Caterham's Carbon Aeroscreen's main purpose was for racing and the side mirrors with the kit are long view for a reason. I've never seen lenses like this before, it was strange when overtaking how far behind the car I just passed seemed, It made the car seem much faster.

I don't know about the track or race aspects.

Convex mirrors are pretty common on road cars, especially on the passenger's side. Split mirrors seem to be common on vans. And the warning message has a Wikipedia page of it's own!

Jonathan

PS: I've seen parodies of that message, was it on BlatChat... ?

PPS: They're very unlikely to be lenses, and Newton would be greatly offended. :-)

PPPS: Isn't it about time that external mirrors were replaced by video technology?