Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering column uj : how stiff is yours?

Ols

Hi all. Just trying to track down source of sticky steering on  my 97 vx. I have the uj off and it's pretty stiff, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be - anyone have experience of stiffness in this area?

Can you add a photo to show the type? Or link to a video of it being manipulated?

Has it got stiffer recently? Any impacts?

Does it unstiffen with grease?

And with the front jacked up and the UJ out does the rest of the steering move smoothly across the whole of its excursion?

Jonathan

Good idea - I'll have a go at posting some pics later. It's been stiff (heavy with limited self-cente) for a while but has worsened noticeably.  No impacts.  just tried the steering with the uj disconnected and it's better but not great - guess I'll have to look at the rack next.....

I've had a UJ fail and become so stiff you could set the desired steering angle, let go, and it'd stick there.

And a lack of lube in the rack do similar.

Unlikely to be the upright bottom joints - the mechanical advantage over those is quite high - plus ptfe lined, so should remain pretty slippy.

_DSC6840(1)a.JPG.1216f81c1b6e16ff83bb08ee88a9edac.JPGthere's the UJ - its noticeably stiffer in one plane than the other, despite a soak in silicone lube, but it looks like i've got some other investigations to carry out ...

• Area Representative

"Unlikely to be the upright bottom joints - the mechanical advantage over those is quite high - plus ptfe lined, so should remain pretty slippy"

​Bricol. I hear what you say, but I speak from experience. It has happened. Surprising I know.

I'm surprised - mine are 16yrs old (same as car) and are fine - used a lot in all weathers.  I'd be wary of adding oil for fear of making grinding paste with road dust, but if it works ;-)

I'd try something other than silicone lube on that UJ - some good old multi-grade GTX maybe.

I added a hint of heavy duty shockproof oil to my rack when I noticed it was bone dry - still seems free enough several years later.

Shiny new UJ now fitted and steering much improved. I think i need to adjust out some play in the rack [sounds like a tedious job] but steering is now much lighter and self centering has returned. Tried some oil on the old uj but no improvement - I've left it soaking to see if it would come back to life. Also put a little oil on the spherical joints ( but as suggested, was a bit worried about encouraging the grot to stick to the bearing surface.

Thanks all :)

Had a closer look at the old uj - the rubber "cush" parts appear a little cracked, dried and generally cooked compared to the new one - anyway it hasn't come back to life after a good soak.  Thanks again for suggestions *smile*