Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Unusual tyre wear?

Drumster

First time at Gurston for me and I guess the front left takes a bit of a pounding at Karousel but would this be considered normal wear even for a supersoft? Tyre has only 'done' Goodwood and 2 Curbs, all other tyres look like the right hand side of the photo.

Kumho.JPG.dc75091ea4452a9ee7f5bc374644b5e3.JPG

I would think that you have quite a bit of understeer in some conditions.

I would try increasing the rear ride height.

My tyres are noticeably cleaner since Simon drove the car at Curborough and adjusted the dampers. I'd give him a call too.

• Area Representative

Chris,

'looks like you've given the outside edge some pain, but not the inside at all.

I'd suggest that 1.5° -ve camber is not enough. I got pretty even tyre wear at closer to 3° -ve camber when running Kumhos. 

I know my driving 'style' often leads to too much understeer, but I've never seen my front left or right looking like that. Maybe it's just Karousel that's done the damage?

Video 

(please ignore slow time *redface* )

I used to run with -2.5 on the front and found that the area to the left of the left main tread in the photo was not getting used at all. The 3 year old SS Kumhos that I've just discarded looked positively brand new compared to the photo. Also as you all know the car does more miles on the road than track so it's always a bit of a compromise.

It just left me wondering if the tyre could possibly be defective?

My initial reaction was not enough negative camber as already suggested. I'm running -2.5 and the wear is pretty even on track so -1.5 may simply not be enough.

have you checked the camber to make sure you really do have -1.5 on that side?

how long were you out on track for before the tyre over heated like that?

Looks like not enough camber or maybe a bit of understeer (although I'd be surprised if you're understeering into Carousel - I'm normally trying to stop the back overtaking the front with almost no steering input)?

I ran 2.5 degrees on the Khumo most places - up to 3.5 degrees at Anglesey.  The avon was a degree less respectively.  15mm lower at the front than the back and 65mm under the (dry) sump.  Maximum caster and would have liked more, or softer springs.  I ended up with the car just on the oversteer side of neutral at most venues. 

If you trail-brake, you'll loose all of your understeer immediately. 

Try the camber first.