Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crossflow Ignition

TomBerlin

I am still getting familiar with my new acquisition after decades with an Elan. It currently has a Bosch distributor and reading all these posts gives me hope that there is something better out there besides just replacing the points with elec. ignition. Any help out there?

I guess that you are referring to a 3d-mapped ignition system. I know that Weber do one which can be bought from Roger King. I believe that it can be supplied with a default map for a crossflow, but would normally benefit from a rolling road session at a Weber authorised agent.

I seem to remember that the price is about £600.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Well, at the moment we have the main spark 3-D map working quite nicely, but there are some funnies on the warm up side. Being an OEM EFI computer there are about 8 different tables for various aspects of warm up to meet all the USA emission regs. however I have a fresh disassembly of the code in front of me and should crack these fairly soon. After that I will release more details.

The unit is off an early 90's GM (used in corvette, various pick-ups). Does everything that an aftermarket unit does and more EXCEPT on the fly mapping. That last bit is currently being addressed. First pass is still using the dizzy for spark distribution, after that I will get wasted spark working.

Then I start working through the fuelling section. The long term goal is to get a version of code optimised for se7ens applications to cater for the X-flow/pinto etc mob for whom a £500 ECU cannot be justified and who don't mind getting their hands dirty with electrons.

If anyone is in the fleet area they are more than welcome to pop over and see one of these beasties. In a month or so I should have a test bed up and running so you can twiddle pots and watch the dials move on the PC.

Bill