Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oh the day is going badly

Alan Reeves

So a lickle irregular hunting in the engine, 175 Dura..

the help points me in some  directions so I do the easy one first - Spark Plugs

strangely the middle two cylinders have clearly had lots of standing water in the deep plug recess and whilst one plug came out easily enough the other one has decided to part from its body !!

so now I have the plug body stuck in the head and no idea how that can come out short of hoping one of the 7 experts is able to get onto it fairly quickly

The outer two had no sign of water 

oh I feel a pocket wrenching blow

any thoughts apart from Pee taking welcome

I always put a goodly smear of Ali or copper grease on plug threads so they stand a better chance of coming out next time. If you have snapped off ceramic bit .... the hex bit should still unscrew OK. Tip here is to use a t-handle on the extension with plug socket .... So you apply even force to both handles and stand a better chance of keeping socket vertical. A ratchet handle can easy allow you to do what you have done.

Before you attempt to remove the remains of the plug make absolutely sure that there are no remains of the broken ceramic stem. If any fall into the cylinder, they will score the bore for sure. Blow the recess out with compressed air (mind your eyes !) then firkle about with a blob of grease on the end of a screwdriver.

M25's tip about even pressure on a T handle to remove plugs in the future is sound advice

The metal hex should still be intact and removable.  It may be worth double checking that you have the "right" plug socket for the Duratec.  Specifically, a socket that has an external diameter to allow the tool to fully engage around the hex of the plug.  Some plug sockets can foul inside the plug recess on the head, and don't engage fully engage the plug hex which often results in the ceramic getting fractured.

Well ive tried posting a response and it keeps clearing before I can hit send, bad hair day or what.

short version, I posted on FB and asked where Arnie was and he popped up and popped over.

The ceramic side of life was in my hands along with the nut, the thread and the sparky bit at the end were still in the head.

Arnie used a long extractor and it took some severe force to break the thread. he reckons 100 lb but considering the amount of force required for the rear wheel assembly I think he used more. the bar was 2 ft long 

It was a great effort and I am such a happy bunny...not the saving of money but the ability to get it done in what is now a very busy season for 7s and getting them fixed. Thank s to Arnie

John, JNC, I believe I sucked the detrious out ! Jim I am pretty sure my plug tool is as long and thin as you can get but this plug/nut was breaking down with rust and its not a very deep nut if you see what I mean.

JK I will get a picture of the before and after

Thanks all for the input

ooops

the thread was bashed up in a vice when taking Arnies withdrawal tool out, sorry if that confused.

is you look at the multi picture you can see where the body has departed from just above the threaded area.

i dont think there is any thread damage in the head

enough from me on this but I did post a general warning but it appears that many Dura engines have had issues with seized plugs and not just vented Caterhams, ta JK

Thinking outside the box I wonder if the two rusty plugs had become porous  where it snapped causing a micro atmosphere making the rust mark being as the engine has a cover over the coil packs, it would be interesting to wire brush the other rusty plug and connect the air line to the thread end and put it under pressure in a water tank  ?. On the other hand I might be talking from the Derriere     *whistle*

I remember helping a guy on a test day at curborough who had a mis fire. Two of his plugs were up to the lead caps in water. Think it was a zetec.

Its really bad luck that the corrosion was enough to make the plug snap. Hope its all running sweet.

Do you think its a set of circumstances unique to your car or something others need to check regularly?

Ian

Do you think its a set of circumstances unique to your car or something others need to check regularly?

If I had a Zetec/ Sigma/ Duratec I'd immediately get the plugs out, have a look and refit them with appropriate stuff on the thread. Then I'd keep an eye out for moisture.

Jonathan

Following Alan's tale of woe, I've just checked the plug wells on my R400D.  Superclean and superdry.

The plugs are Ford TR6A-13 as supplied, but on the advice of BC and the Two Steves, I've just ordered a set of NGK BR7EFS from Opie Oils (excellent website plus a 10% club discount).

JV

On my R400D, I've only recently found an optimum plug that will run well on track and around town and also start well in cooler temperatures below 10C. I found the NGK BR7EFS very difficult to start when cold. Plugs tried so far:

NGK TR6AP-13, 1.3mm gap - original fitment, engine feels flat at high RPM on track

NGK TR6GP & TR6, 1.0mm gap - same as TR6AP-13

NGK BR7EFS, 0.9mm gap - hard to start when cold and some low-load fouling

Champion RS9YC, 1.2mm gap - generally good, but slight low-load fouling and occasional throttle needed to start

Autolite AR103, 1.0mm gap - currently the best compromise for my car, with minimal low-load fouling, but start easily and no issues under high load.