Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing main beam bulb

Neilnorman38

hi, this may seem like a trivial question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I have a classic 120 where a high beam bulb has gone. The solver headlight casing has a single screw at the bottom which I assume secures the lens to the main light body. When I loosen the screw it just spins but doesn't appear to loosen the lens cover from the back silver case. I am reluctant to force the lens loose for obvious reasons. Does anyone know how to take the light apart to replace the bulb? Any help gratefully received. 

IIRC on mine the screw goes into a clamp which tightens against the rim. I suspect you have enough thread on the head side of the clamp to allow the clamp to spin over the rim. So the screw doesn't untighten any more.

Can you pull the screw outwards as you unscrew so that the spinning of the clamp is restricted by the rim?

Jonathan

PS: Fitting better bulbs while you have the chance?

The Allen key bolt in the 12 o'clock position holds the rim in place.  There is a concealed lip on the bowl in the 6 o'clock position that also hold the rim in place.  With the Allen key bolt is removed gently prise the rim forward at the 12 o'clock location and it should come free.  When you reassemble, firstly locate the fixing in the 6 o'clock before refitting the Allen bolt.