Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FS Cheap Superlight ?

jonnyleroux

Once again i'm thinking of selling my 2001 Superlight (#162), 1.6K SS, 6-speed, 133bhp, Titanium Silver, 14k miles, new CR500's all round, FIA bar, LSD, widetrack, big brakes, apollo tank, red starter button (very important).

Yes it's been tracked extensively but it's been very reliable since the engine rebuild 6k miles ago and maintained religiously regardless of cost by Caterham Dartford.

Any offers at all? This car must have a value. May even consider a *very cheap* Elise in part-ex

Jonny

BaT

Piers,

It's been up for £17,500 in the past but I only had a couple of interested parties, both of whom were scared off straight away by the bodywork and mileage (this is not a particularly pretty car).

If someone offered me £16,500 i'd snap their hand off, below that and i'd still consider but would need to think a bit more carefully. This car was £23K new 18 months ago, similar spec car new from caterham now is £25K ish.

Jonny

BaT

Hi Jonny

I'm looking around for a Superlight at the moment.

When you say your car is not pretty - how do you mean? Is that accident damage, stonechips, dents, rough interior, kerbed wheels or all of the above?

A few other questions;-

Do you have any pictures?

Does the engine rebuild imply it went bang?

How has the 14k miles been made up?

Have you had the car from new?

What sort of seats/interior?

Minilite wheels?

Does it have screen/weather equipment

Are wings/nose painted?

Why are you thinking of selling?

Any other extras?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian *thumbup*

> Is that accident damage

No. It's had a new front wing where someone clipped some cones, and a new rear ali panel where it got rear-ended.

> stonechips

Plenty

>dents

A few, yes - nothing major - mainly in the bonnet from loading onto the (double height) trailer

>rough interior

Nope, interior is fine - will certainly clean up decent enough

> kerbed wheels

Nope, wheels are fine. Have 2 sets in fact, the original black hi-lite wheels from caterham and a spare set of silver minators.

>Do you have any pictures?

http://www.picman.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.pl?20030215BaTDon&Open_Pit_Lane&C4TSL&1

>Does the engine rebuild imply it went bang?

Yes. at around 8000 miles.

>How has the 14k miles been made up?

11k Track Miles, rest on roads (to and from track days mostly)

>Have you had the car from new?

Yes. registered in Sept 2001, built by Caterham Midlands

>What sort of seats/interior?

Tillets, carbon dash

Does it have screen/weather equipment

>No - aeroscreen

>Are wings/nose painted?

Nose is painted body colour (titanium) as are the rear wings, fronts were replaced with Black GRP (for supply rather than cost reasons)

>Why are you thinking of selling?

I've bought a honda engine i intend to fit to an elise - a project i've been planning for a few years and finally decided to JFDI

>Any other extras?

DId i mention the red starter button?

J5

BaT

Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the response. I'm pondering....

Just looking at the pictures and considering the track mileage, has it been used as a sort of rentacar for trackdays? I suppose my concerns surround transmission and all the bits that take a hammering on these occasions. Presumably Caterham Dartford could provide some sort of report on the car if its been maintained there. I would also need to build in the cost of weather equipment, body work and respray. I'm thinking out loud.

Anyway although I'm in England in a week or so, I won't get up to where you are, but will be over again in early April. If its still for sale and I haven't found anything by then, I will get in touch.

Inbetween 7's - anyone flogging a Superlight 🤔

Ian,

Speak to Simon Lambert at Caterham Aftersales, he's been to look round the car today with a view to us part-exchanging it. Yes it's been hired out as one of our track hire cars. Never raced or crashed though.

I'm looking to make a decision in the next 2 weeks - is this too soon?

Jonny

BaT