Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hearing effected

DRH

Hearing aids have made a great improvement in my tinnitus, it's bad when I wake but the first thing I do is put my aids in and it quietens down. I think that my brain now has something to listen to whereas previously it was making up a noise (twin sine waves in my case) to fill the void. Certainly, as I was told, having the aids re-opened the pathways in my brain and I hear better  than I did before, without stimulus parts of the brain say "Why bother?" and shut down.  Their overall (holistic?) effect is more than simple amplification.  

In my case deafness was not caused by driving a 7 for 100,000 miles over the last 15 years though I doubt that has helped even though I always use earplugs.

• Area Representative

I suffer from significant hearing loss to my left ear (years gone by, too much LOUD music etc etc) which resulted in being afflicted by meniere's (and I have tinitus in my left which can be annoying at times) although as i get older the meniere's affect is lessoning.

Anyhow when the 7 came along I used plugs and a variety of different things but they either kept falling out or were unsuitable, but I soldiered on however when I got my current car, it's so loud that I had to look at a permanent solution, decided that I did like the s/c gearbox and the exhaust, so bought some 3M head/ear cans and although they do the job, I can still hear but the effect is beneficial to me. OK you can look a bit daft with hat, cans and glasses but that's the way it has to be. 

Always look after the hearing, once gone or damaged there's little help.