Click here if you are having website access problems ×

200 bhp + K-series

DaveK

Hi

I.m trying to price a project at the moment for an SV .

What is needed to make a k produce approx 200 bhp.

Looking to use a 1.8 base engine with obvious bits such as dth throttle bodies, mappable ecu etc, but what cams would be needed.

Will std crank,rods,pistons,liners be suitable ?

Look forward to any sensible replies *smile*

dave

You will need substantial head work to get 200BHP Either a big valve K16 head or a VVC/VHPD one reworked. You will need a minimum of 740 (BP285M) cams with solid or converted lifters to achieve that level.

Forged pistons (fully floating) with early single tang rods and the latest German liners should be OK as should the stock crank at this level provided its carefully balanced.

Oily

I got 190BHP at 7500 from a 1.6K measured on Emerald's rolling road with the following spec.

VVC head ported (standard sized valves)

Jenvey throttle bodies (Twin bore not direct to head)

285H Piper cams

Emerald ECU

Vernier pulleys

This gave a me a power curve which was a straight line begging to go screaming past 7500. So all I have to do to get 200+ is add forged pistons and do anything else to the bottom end that allows it to go beyond 8,000 safely. You might achieve 200bhp from a 1.8 without doing anything beneath the head.

Ken

Edited by - kenevans on 21 Feb 2003 10:36:48

Hello Stephane

Yes, it's no problem on the road at all. It'll pull cleanly from 2500 revs in any gear though doesn't really get going seriously until you hit 6000. The 285 cams are about right I think for mixed road/sprint/hillclimb.

I don't have any problems with starting.

Ken

I put together a 1.8 K last year using one of Dave Andrews heads and generally following his advice. This thing managed 232HP at 8300RPM before being fully run in, so I can highly reccommend his work. Engine was perfectly manageable in all operating environments including stop and go London traffic on one of the hottest days of the year.

If you run forged pistons and good liners you should be able to spin safely to 8,000 RPM with standard crank.

David

Whoever said ... If it aint broke, Don't fix it...

Just doesn't get the point!

Ohhhh ...."K series" I have sitting in my Garage the remnats of my '99 Integra R type.. thanks to the consumate Driving skill of my Elder Son;-)

The OEM Engine is rated at 205 hp at 8000rpm .. with power steering, air conditioning and federally approved catalytic exhaust/emissions system.. it came with a 5 year 50,000 Mile unconditional warantee.. it can/could;-( idle for over an hour in a traffic jam with no adverse affects noticeable to me as I was driving it.

Only mentioning this as it seems to take extraordinary measures to get the Rover thing up to similar levels. Perhaps a more sophisticated "Base Engine" would make the upgrade a bit easier?

Weigh the Honda engine

Measure its torque over the RPM range.

Calculate the cost of the componentry required to install it in a seven

Then compare all 3 factors with those from a decent K.

Oily

BTW I measnt to mention that the latest 1.8 rods have a design feature which mnakes them unsuitable for sustained RPM over 7000, best to get earlier or VHPD rods.