Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nankang AR1 - left and right?

AdamQ

Following a favourable review here recently and having found a set of 185s and 205s for an irresistable £274, I've just taken delivery of some AR1s.

Maybe I'm being a bit thick or just demonstrating a complete lack of tyre knowledge (or both), but given that the tread pattern is asymmetric I was expecting one front to be the mirror image of the other front and the same for the rear.  However, that is not the case - the two fronts are identical, as are the two rears.

Is this correct?

Having visited various websites selling them, none offers the option to specify a left or right fit and all the images on Google show the same pattern (there are no mirror images that I can see).

Confirmation (or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks,

Adam 

Yes, they're not directional, but simply marked to show which side should be used on the outside. That means they look a-symmetrical, tread-wise,  but don't worry - they work absolutely fine! The advantage is that you can easily swap wheels from one side to the other to get even wear...

Thank you all for your replies - the reassurance is much appreciated.

As for noticing a difference on the road, in my case, it'd probably be only when there were snow chains on one side that I started to detect a slight difference between left and right ...!

Thanks again,

Adam 

;-)

A mate didn't realise for around 15 miles in deep snow he only had one chain left on one side of the car . . . as he was the only one daft enough to attempt that road that day, he picked it up on the way back . . .

• 2 weeks later...