Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front headlight bulb upgrade

DRH

Hi Chaps

Was recommended the 'Prism night break' bulbs that give a much brighter beam, does anyone know what brand or size of bulb, the Caterham handbook says wattage 60/55 (halogen) and the fuse has a 15am(blue) rating.

I had to laugh when I entered my reg number for comparability on the Amazon link for the bulb, it said this does not fit your opal Astra.

I noticed they now do a new upgrade to this bulb Julian called the "Laser night breaker" it's £2 more, probably no different I would imagine.

By all means try the later bulb. It will be slightly better still. The only downside with all these better bulbs is that the life tends to shorten the brighter the bulb, particularly in our "bumpy" 7's with the smaller headlights. That said, my nightbreakers have lasted a year so far, that's as much as my no-name regular bulbs did previously. Mike Clark (Kentish Weald AR) put me onto them initially, they are very good.

Thinking of bulbs, I also suggest you consider upgrading all your other bulbs to LED. That was my winter project. It turned into quite a project too, modifying all lamp holders, retiring my repeaters on the cycle wings and modifying a relay for polarity. But I think it was worth it. Next time you see me, ask me to have a look and I will explain to you.

Cheers,