Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine hunting

Alan Reeves

Dura 175, ive been a little concerned with occasional blips when pootling around town but its fine when opened up. rich?

Also aware of a bit of hunting on tick over and last night was very pronounced- 1200 dropping to around 7/800 and feels like it will cut out but it revives ...up and down

not consistent

any pointers?

alan

I'd exclude a few simple things before getting to the control systems.

1. Any recent changes or work?
  2. Has it been washed or out in the rain?
  3. All HT connections nice and snug?
  4. Throttle actuation nice and smooth all the way along the mechanical bits?

Jonathan

Access to an MBE lead would help to see the actual problem.  If you don't have a battery isolator, try an ECU reset (disconnect the battery of 1 min, or unplug the ECU), Then be careful not to press the accelerator before starting.

Sorry Alan no ! , I was told by the two Steves the TPS is a cheep and nasty item and fail often . Saying that mine has been fine . My reason for thinking it's the TPS is if the ECU is not seeing or an intermittent signal the engine will hunt.

Mine is a jäger at idle, I have tried the reset, and the TPS signal is fine, I have the lead to check.  I am concerned there is no adjustment in the TPS position, mine likes to sit at throttle position 2, when at idle, I am sure this should be 0.  All the sensors look fine, the "hunt" for a solution continues.

A while back mine used to fluctuate at tick over. It used to yoyo between 850 and 1300 at tick over. I took it to Caterham Donnington under warranty and all they did was to adjust the tick over screw as if you wanted to lower the tick over speed. You'd think this would make it stall but it didn't, it settled the tick over speed to a much smoother 950 rpm. Maybe doing this helped to align/lower the throttle site better. It might not work for you but it certainly did for me. Worth a try?

Maybe mark the position of the stop screw before you try it so you can restore its position in case it doesn't work.

For reference, my hunting was caused by a high idle screw.   It was ok after PBC and IVA, but has got worse since 500 miles.  I am guessing it's a combination of the engine freeing up and increasing the rpm into a range where the ECU gets confused.   Incidentally I didn't notice the rpm rise because the R spec tacho seems to read 1100 rpm regardless of the actual rpm below that figure seen on the MBE ECU, I.e 700 - 1100 all read 1100 on the tacho. I am sure this is because the needle is vertically pointing down at 1100 rpm.

Do you mean the ceramic plug body has broken off, leaving the metal hex body in the head?  If so, you can still undo the plug but extracting it will require long thin tweezers or forceps.

ETA: Or has the entire plug sheared off, leaving just the threaded portion in the head?

JV