Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Has anyone tried these brake discs?

mossy7

True ventilated discs have radial cavities within the core of the rotor to allow air to cool the discs internally.  Cross drilled discs without the internal cavities I described are largely a cosmetic ploy to make the discs look ‘better’, and probably increase pad wear and the grooves would be even worse for pad life, so all things considered I doubt these are worth the trip.

Ezzer

Cross-drilling also saves weight and these have radial grooves too. Is that better/worse? Certainly, cross drilling makes the brakes noisier.

Was always under the impression that true ventilated discs tend to be very heavy and add width, neither of which you want or need on a 7 (due to our low weight and good cooling for the discs). But not an expert so happy to be corrected!

Andy 

You can do Spa in a 220 hp VX with solid disc's no problem but a short circuit like Croix en Ternois anything above 150 hp will see you struggling with solid rotors. To lower the rotational weight by a little bit you can go for Hi-spec rotors with an alloy bell.

Thanks for the comments folks. Elie, that's really interesting and helpful.

As it happens I took mine out yesterday and found a quiet, long well sighted bit of road and tried braking as hard as I could with no one in sight and found I could brake a heck of a lot harder than I thought I could with no hint of locking up. Seems the standard discs, ( with Mintex 144 )  is perfectly good enough for me. Just need to stop being a tart about how the discs look and I'll be fine!!