Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Windscreen

JKJ

Has anyone had any experience of replacing there windscreen due to stone damage on their insurance policy. Glass replacement is usually by a recommended firm which you deal with direct, they get the bits a fit them, you pay the excess. Obviously a 7 is a bit different, any thoughts.

If you live too far from Caterham to do what Roger did (like me in Worcs), just call the windscreen line on your insurance policy and ask for a replacement. Explain that a new screen can ONLY be got from Caterham direct (you might have to provide a telephone number). They'll get it for you and give you the option of fitting it for you, or leaving it with you to fit yourself (my preference). You get the whole screen and surround so if you've got a powder coated one make sure you tell them or you'll end up with a plain one. Watch for the heated screen connectors at each corner. The bullet connectors are larger than the holes in the scuttle so you'll have to cut them off. The new one's will have to be crimped on once the new screen's in place.

Whichever way you do this, it'll only cost you the 50 quid excess.

Try to keep hold of the old one because there's a lot of Locost owners out there who would be grateful for it. Be generous and give it to them rather than sell it on. They can remove the glass by unscrewing the screws in the bottom of the corners of the bottom piece of ali (visible only once the screen's off the car) and sliding the old screen out. I've sent 2 of my old screens out into the world in this way. I must drive too close to the traffic in front.

Did anyone change the glass only? How difficult is it?

My window looks like if someone took a shot at me with a riotgun, it should be replaced one of these days. Caterham has got non heated ones that cost about £60 without the frame ... if it's not to difficult I might have a go at that.

I wish you all would stop talking about cracked windscreens ........... I makes me nervous driving with my aeroscreen after having seen some of the stone chips !!!! :-(

Got hit by a bumble bee last summer , saw the bugger coming up the bonnet ! , good job he wasnt flying backwards !!!

Dave

Dave,

Given your comment about bees flying backwards you obviously don't want to consider the scenario whereby the bee is actually flying forwards and you are travelling twice the speed of the bee blush.gif

P.S. In your opinion are aeroscreens that much of a hazard? Thinking about some for next year.

Chris Alston

I drove Roger Swift's car from Paris to Birmingham when I blew my engine. His car has aeroscreens and I absolutely loved it. Whilst doing about 80mph a low flying bird swooped down and flew across the dual carriageway. I suddenly had images of it's beak penetrating my frontal lobe! Luckily (for me anyway) the left hand light struck the bird and after the initial explosion of blood and feathers, the remains of the bird (a fairly big thing) stayed wedged between the light and the indicator. I drove most of the rest of the journey with my helmet on!

I haven't learnt though as I hope to put some aeroscreens on next summer (if we have one)

Alex

Matt

If you want to do a "mines bigger than yours" item, I should warn you that I was despatch rider in London for 16 years. I've hit EVERYTHING. The largest animal was a medium sized dog (it lived, cos I couldn't catch it again), several flying rats (ok pigeons) and a seagull. The birds do seem to explode, one pigeon actually popped, and I ALWAYS think I'm going to get lobotomised by an errant beak. The Dragonfly seemed to make the most mess for it's size, comparatively speaking, and was bloody painful (the visor was up!!!) which seemd to be the point being made at the time.

Pheasants......pah,

try a double decker bus.....now they're hardteeth.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

Edited by - mark.hall on 9 Dec 2000 02:31:18

I've had aeros for 5 years now - don't want to go back to the full screen. I always wear eye protection - glasses or a full face helmet. The helmet when its wet and/or cold. The worst I've ever had was to get caught in a hail storm - without the helmet. Slowed down rather quickly, luckily it was only a shower, but it b***dy well hurt. (Even rain can be painful at speed).

I agree that rain can be painful at speed. Always keep the helmet in the car now. Went for a spin lunchtime today and the small bits of dirt being flicked up from the wet road were like pinpricks on your face.

I think this all adds to the experience and would now never put the full screen back.

I'm thinking of removing my screen and putting an aeroscreen on, and I have a few questions:-

1. Does it make really as big a difference to the accerleration at the highers ends of the speed spectrum as I have heard.

2. I want to keep it road legal so where is the best place to get hold of the appropriate mirrors etc, and how much are they likely to cost.

I've been told that aeroscreens can put a few mph on the top end and thru the gears , hence why many sprint / race series ban aeroscreens . Some people claim as much as 8-12 mph . But how much time do you spend above 90mph anyway ?? where the gains could be had .

The best thing about aeroscreens I find is that it adds a whole new sense of freedom to your driving . Bit like riding a motor bike without a helmet . :-)

Downside is that , there is always the concern in the back of your mind that a big chuffing stone is about to launch itself into your face . :-(

I'm using SPA Design racetech mirrors , available from europa spares - ( 01283 815609 , info@europaspares.com ) .

these are available in a few different sizes including convex glass 133mm x 70 mm carbon fibre at £47.64 each or £25.28 each in black plastic which I find just the job .

Much cheaper than Demon theives .

Dave .

• 3 weeks later...