Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tintop battery change

Wrightpayne

hi

At nearly 5 years old I want to change the battery on my skoda. Last winter it struggled starting on really cold mornings so me thinks its on borrowed time and would rather do some pre-emptive maintenance.

So on a modern car with lots of electrical gubbins, is it same as before and simply disconnect (earth first) pull it out and stick the new one in. Or do I need a VAGCOM tool to reset anything? Internet search ranges from disconnect and swap to use jump leads and another battery to preserve all ECU settings etc.

Cost difference is about £60 between DIY with OEM battery and dealer fit.

Any one swapped their own? What was the process?

Ian

You'll probably be fine. Have the security code for the radio etc ready for re-entry.

Penetrating fluid on the clamp fittings in advance. Make sure it isn't alarmed or immobilised. Disconnect and reconnect in the right order... which is slightly counter-intuitive.

I recommend Tayna, and you might save a bit more than that.

Tanya

PS: if you decide not to do it yourself then buying from and fitting by Halfords (don't forget the Club discount) will probably be cheaper than a main dealer.

One to consider...

A friend's 2.0Tdi Octavia had a smaller battery (from new) than they were originally specced. I dropped in a 096 (original spec).

Worth checking as if you are getting a battery swap done then worth having one up to the job in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

So, purchased the recommended Yuasa battery from TPS which ended up at £62 incl VAT but was higher rated and slightly bigger than the original. Also warranty a year longer than the VW offering - 3 vs 2.

Disconnected as per normal procedure and chucked the new one in greasing terminals etc. Trip computer lost all its data and the clock needed resetting. Few warning lights lit up on the dash but all out by the time I'd driven out of the close. Radio fine no code needed and it retained all the station presets.

Only negative (no pun intended!) was the original battery had a thermal coat which also shielded the connections. As the new battery is bigger it wont fit. Battery didnt come with terminal covers either so had to source some.

Ian