Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cracked Wishbone mount :-(

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Car has just failed the MOT because the forward upper wishbone mounts are both cracked - one pretty seriously.

I need to get this fixed before the weekend if possible. Will be ringing round the local race teams later to see if any of them can do it but may have to take to Arch.

Does anyone know how this fix is done and whether it is likely anyone other than Arch could do it.

Looks like the mounts would have to be cut off and new ones welded on but side skin will need peeling back for access.

Depends if the car is metric or not. If its metric then its just MIG welded anyway so anyone 'could' do it if you made a jig to keep everything correct.

If its an Arch chassis then being bronze welded I would only entrust it to them TBH.

• Support Team

Many thanks to Andy for fitting me in at short notice and fixing the car - we will be competing at Gurston *thumbup* He found that both top wishbones were also cracked *eek* so replaced them as well. I guess 6 races last year has taken it's toll!

In all my years using the forum I dont recall this being reported before.

Do you or Andy have an explanation as to why its happened? Do you have poly bushes? I dont think stiffer springs would affect the top wishbone. Also, not likely to be one pothole incident as both sides affected.

Just trying to understand potential causes so I and others can 'forecast' potential failures.

Regards

Ian

• Support Team

Andy had never seen a cracked wishbone mount before - it's normally the wishbone itself or the outboard mount to the upright I think. The cause will be racing at Brands Hatch - the constant hitting the curbs is what causes the damage. Racers quite often break wishbones and the chassis soon gets a bit tired. Nothing to worry about on a road car and even most track day warriors won't put their car under the sort of stress they get put under when racing.

My car doesn't have poly bushes and is not particularly hard sprung (225 lb/in front and 140 rear).

• Support Team

Currently on the list for replacement are:

1. A frame - has a "slight" bend in it
  2. Front wheel bearings - had a hard life
  3. Rear brake pads - I can get 3 or 4 seasons out of a set sprinting but a couple of races tends to finish them off (fronts already replaced recently)
  4. Front offside wheel inner rim - Andy described it as "square" - I may or may not have clobbered the curb at Llandow once or twice
  5. De-dion needs a slight adjustment as 3 deg toe out isn't really normal on the rear

So yes you could say out car has a hard life but then it has powered me to 4 class championship and 2 overall championship wins in the L7C speed championship so I would say it was worth it *biggrin*