Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aldon Amethyst

Namtip

I've been pondering getting an Aldon Amethyst for my 1700 Xflow engine.  It already has the Aldon ignitor replacing the points, and I've heard that both performance and fuel consumption can be improved further using the mappable Amethyst unit.

Does anyone else run one?  What has been your experience with installing/using it?

Thanks Jonathan, that was of some help.  I may ring Aldon during the week to discuss things further with them.  If they have a proven map for a 1700 X-flow then so much the better - no point reinventing the wheel by getting it set up on a rolling road.

Yup I put one on my 95 Supersprint, in retrospect it was a complete waste of time. No improvement in performance or consumption. I preferred my dizzie with the Aldon curve. There was no proven curve when I did the conversion & you had to use a rolling road, I doubt things have changed.

Nick

I fitted one at the same time as 'Duckpit'. It is still on the car.

I took the car to RR (The 2 'Steves'). They had never seen the system before an their opinion of it was that it was 'basic'.

The car really needs another session on RR as it pop's and bang's at low revs (below 2,000 rpm) but pulls fine after that. I would say that the engine feels more responsive when the throttle is buried but any 3d system is better than 2d.

As for DIY fitting there were no issues apart from sending the dizzy away to Aldon to 'lock down'.

If you go this route I am happy to share the 'map' but as I said its not perfect !

Richard

Thats right save up for a megajolt, there are lots of maps about but not a standard map for the 1700 and they all have major caveats.

I eventually went the Zetec route with Dunnell and they have a standard map and it works brilliantly