Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Urgent help shorten track rods?

Adrian Williams

I’ve got the string ready and a couple of mates on their way to help me set the tracking having just fitted the wide track kit. The rack hasn’t been changed and is the old narrow track one but once I fit the spacers on the end there is some serious toe out.

Are you supposed to cut the track rods down by 10mm or so or do I have the wrong spacers or track rod ends. I could ask Caterham in the morning but this evening will be wasted and I don’t fancy shortening the track rods and then finding out I’ve got the wrong spacers. Anyone done this before?

Adrian

If you are using a narrow track rack rahter than replacing the rack with a wide track one. I thought the extension pieces were supposed to be the right length to bring the wheels in line with the wide track whichbones fitted. You shouldn't need to cut anything. Have you screwed the extension pieces all the way onto the ends of the steering rack ?

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

That's exactly what I thought Roy, extensions are indeed screwed in as far as possible. Looking into the female end of the spacer it looks as though the thread is 4mm or so short of the end of the hole but that alone wouldn't cure the amount of toe out I've got.

Chelspeed's done it before and didn't have to cut anything. On that basis I'm not going to cut anything and will check dimesions with Caterham in the morning.

The good news is that we'll get to the pub sooner than planned, thanks for your help guys.

I had exactly this problem.

I decided to chop the extra from the Track Rod ends, then screw in the extensions, then screw in the un cut rods.

I did it this way rather than cutting the Rack as It seemed to me if I buggered up in some way, the TREs are as cheap as chips

Also there is loads more material in the TREs than is needed but be warned..you need to measure very carefully so that you still have the required range of adjustment for toe in/out but with as much engaged thread as you currently have.

Have fun

Steve

See My Zetec Power 7 Here