Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help diagnosing tapping noise... FINAL QUESTION THEN for Free donughts !!

mossy7

I agree with Roger

I've found the Moss Europe discs are fine with Mintex 1144 front pads and the uprated caterham rears, plus upgraded brake fluid and a well bled system (the latter point is key) - no probs in locking the fronts on a standard master cylinder and good feedback

Is it really warped ... or fitted with a bit of grit between it and the hub. Disks don't generally warp. It may also be pad pick up with a bit of pad material adhered to the surface of the disc .... long hot stop then remaining stationary with foot on pedal for a few seconds. This burns the friction material on to the face of the disc ... and goes clonk every rotation thereafter.

I understand the bit about pad material, but what's the best way to test for oblique mounting rather than a high spot or other distortion?

Is a steel rule at 90° a good enough edge to distinguish between them? (For bikes I use the point of a pencil clamped to a retort stand.)

Thanks

Jonathan

A fixed reference point or clock gauge will demonstrate any run out. I would remove the disc and clean mating faces very carefully and finish by wiping with paper towel and meths or brake disc cleaner to remove all traces from the cleaning operation.

image_20.jpg.189fc39b9900347d04046229a22cfc71.jpg                                                                                                                   Has any one tried these from Moss Europe? They appear to be same fitting and size as Gbd154 as recommended by Roger? 

... what's the best way to test for oblique mounting rather than a high spot or other distortion?

Is a steel rule at 90° a good enough edge to distinguish between them? (For bikes I use the point of a pencil clamped to a retort stand.)

A fixed reference point or clock gauge will demonstrate any run out.

Thanks, Ian. But that isn't quite what I was asking... and approximately none of us have dedicated gauges.

Jonathan