Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tall Drivers and Post 2000 Caterham

bcrain

I originally owned a 1962 series II, but sold it years ago. I'm currently looking at replacing it with a used Caterham, but I'm worried about the more comfortable seats that are installed on later models. I'm 6' 2" (188 cm) tall and I barely fit in my old worn out Lotus. Current and recent Caterhams may push me up too high and/or too far forward.

Tall drivers, please comment so I know what I'm heading into and common solutions. Just so you know, I am in the SW USA so I'm typically 800-2400 km from any car that I consider. It's not easy to pop over and do a fit check.

I'm just under 6 2 and have an S3 standard chassis car with s type leather seats. I do have a tall cage on the car though I was well below the standard height FIA roll bar. With a helmet on the top of the lid was pretty much level with the roll bar hence I went for the tall cage.

since fitting the tall cage I've also fitted a lowered floor on the drivers side primarily to increase the distance between head and cage but has made the car much more comfortable. I now have more space between legs and 290mm steering wheel and I'm also able to get my clutch foot comfortable.

I think the key is fitting a lowered floor in an S3 or go for an SV.

Ian

I'm 6'2" and have had a '92 live axle long cockpit without problems, although I was definitely looking through the top portion of the windscreen and I currently own a '07 car (non SV) which started out with ordinary floors but has now got lowered ones. The reason for changing the floors was just to feel a little more 'in' the car and to try and get a little less buffeting - although I did own the car for 8 years before doing it so it obviously wasn't that necessary *smile*

My height is in my body so, even now, I don't have the seat fully back or the pedals in the furthest hole and at only 12St I don't need the width of the SV

Hope that helps

Ivan

I am 6'2" and struggle to fit in my S3 620R. I have lowered floors but my left knee is generally jammed against the key and my head is close to the cage bars. I'm around 86kg so don't need an SV for the extra width. I'm slightly confused as the 620R I tried in the showroom seemed to fit me OK and I have a much slimmer wallet now.

I am in the process of getting a bag seat made for mine which I reckon will give me the extra space that I need.

6'3" mostly in the body (33" inside keg)  95kg/15 stone (mostly in my bones *scratchchin*)

Have an SV with lowered floors - borderline spacious whereas in an S3, it's an uncomfortable interference-fit in the hip region and no way I can adjust my feet for comfort.

S3 2007 - 5-11 and not slimline, 32 inch leg . Fits likes a glove - but only after the lowered floor was fitted . Before that  it was unbearable -far too high, like riding a bloody horse.

But my 93  S3-with  no lowered floor - was also perfect .

Tried a 2012 Sigma- new seats, lowered floor - driveable but still seated too high.

So...they're all different !