Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wing Rivnuts

BigCol

was looking at some past posts and some suggested that rubber well nuts were better (well, more likely to give and so prevent damage) than rivnuts..  hence the query; but take your point Jonathan, the flange bit does look thicker.

Agreed...  

Rivnut - the metal threaded inserts that are fitted by Caterham.  

Rawlnut (or more generically rubber well nuts) - a rubber, threaded insert that are "kinder" in the event of damaging the rear wing and don't corrode either.  

The shoulder on the latter looks to be approx 1mm - similar I suspect to the former.

But what size do I need?  

M5...  but which length?  

ditto re the (nylon) bolts?

I bought rubber Well Nuts (M5) from Probolt as cheaper than Rawl-? which weren't readily available locally.

They worked ok but at least one of the rivnuts pulled out leaving a larger hole so the well nuts fell in. I was going to try bonding the Well Nuts in place but ran out of time.  It's likely the car will be re-skinned in near future.

But what size do I need?  
M5...  but which length?  
ditto re the (nylon) bolts?

I used M5 x 25 nylon bolts* into the original fittings. And there's a lot left: how many would you like?

On rereading the archives I see that it's recommended to weaken them and/or not fill all the holes.

Jonathan

* But where's the Self-Appointed Club Pedant when he's needed? :-)

Well, not even I capitalises* "nylon". But are they bolts or set screws or machine screws... the thread on mine runs up to the head! 

I think that those distinctions were never consistent and are now otiose.

Jonathan

* But should that be in the singular or plural? :-)

Well I just used one of my Elise Rawlnuts to replace the rivnut that had ripped out of my 7. It was a larger diameter so fitted the torn hole well.

I have never seen a definitive bolt/screw definition. I thought screws had a shank (like woodscrews) but read elsewhere that a bolt had a nut whereas a screw screws into, say, a block. The latter seems poor to me, as it depends on how the threaded thing is used.

Wikipedia explains it pretty well. But the first sentence is by far the most important.

The latter seems poor to me, as it depends on how the threaded thing is used.

Yes, not much use when you're trying to find and buy the right widget. But quite a good principle in linguistics for parts of speech. At least it is if you're a modern descriptivist. ;-)

Jonathan

re bolts and screws...  my interpretation is as per the link in Jonathan's post - ie bolts are retained by nuts and screws by what they're screwed into... but James May talked in his rebuilder programme about the difference of description vis-a-vis threads all the way to the head, plain bits of shank etc, so I know I'm probably wrong in my nomenclature but am able t make myself understood when buying them...

re nylon / Nylon / NYLon...  I thought it was apocryphal that the material got its name from a concatenation/abbreviation of New York and London...

James May talked in his rebuilder programme about the difference of description vis-a-vis threads all the way to the head, plain bits of shank

Yes, but that criterion is insufficient. 

I thought it was apocryphal that the material got its name from a concatenation/abbreviation of New York and London...

I've heard it a few times. But it isn't true... does that help or hinder it being apocryphal? Nystatin on the other hand...

Jonathan