Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Painting aluminium

Julian Thompson

Just finsishing my new super lightweight non sagging seat runners (!).

What a bloody sod of a job.

Anyway. They're machined from nice aluminium, and I want to stop them corroding. I could take them to my local powder coating place but it'll take ages. I presume that spraying them with ordinary aerosol won't be durable.

Anyone know of any paint that sticks well to alloy?

Etch prime is usually a two pack cyanide based paint that eats a ley in the metal.

Any car body paint shop can sell you a jam jar full.

I tried not to breath it in while doing my spraying. For H&S reasons proper air fed masks are needed

for volume straying but for one small job you will be ok. This is what the nice man in Guildford who sold me the stuff told me.

You only need the lightest of coats to key into the metal and provide a suitable base for normal paint.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Thanks guys.

I've said bollox to it and dropped them off for powder coating. £30 though.

Oh well!

I'll post some pix once they're finished. The final weight saving will be stupendous! My entire new CNC machined seat frams weighs only as much as the Caterham "U" channels under the car and since no load whatsoever is placed on the floor now I am replacing the floor with nice light carbon sheet. So weight saving there plus, obviously, 4 tonnes of steel drivers seat runner in the bin and the 2 bendy ali passenger ones, along with the 4 "U" channels and a brace of rivets and bolts!

It's going to be so light I'll have to tie it down to stop it floating away 😬