Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery replacement and TOAD Sterling Excel immobiliser

Delbert

So FiFi has been in store for and without pointing fingers someone unplugged the battery conditioner for her seed propergators

Long story short Gel battery is deader than a dead thing that has died a long time ago 

The battery is 5 years old so simple replacement is in order- once I work out how to get at it in the bowels of the engine bay 

So Question 

Is there a routine to change over the battery / time span where the immobilser does not resetting ???

Any other possible issues 

So FiFi has been in store for and without pointing fingers someone unplugged the battery conditioner for her seed propergators

Red and blackcurrants?

Long story short Gel battery is deader than a dead thing that has died a long time ago 

Is it really a gel type? There's a long standing tradition on BlatChat that most aren't...

:-)

Jonathan

Since I've fitted a gel battery I rewired the immobiliser so that it had no power once the battery master key is removed. Gel battery now holds its charge for ages. The trick is once ignition is turned off allow the immobiliser to 'alarm' itself and then remove the battery master key. Although no power is getting to the unit it remains in its 'alarmed' state.

Ultramax NPG22-12 from Battery Masters. For many years I used the NP20-12 which was their sealed lead acid battery but with an immobiliser it needed to be kept on a battery conditioner otherwise there'd not be enough juice to start the car after 2 weeks.

As immobiliser in now 'switched 12v' rather than 'permanent 12v' I haven't used the battery conditioner since the gel battery was installed on 4 March and the 7 started first time at the weekend. I guess ages is a relative term *biggrin*

The battery fits lying down in a modified Banner battery tray on top of my passenger footwell.

xlarge_Enginebay.jpg.d0d3cbce826e38d830540687b77e0414.jpg

Ultramax NPG22-12

Thanks

I'm not sure what type that is: they describe it as both "AGM" and "gel", as do the manufacturers. The safety data sheet suggests it's AGM.

The suggested uses don't include road* or competitive vehicles. I don't know if that's because we're a small market or for some technical reason, such as peak available current for starting. They give a maximum discharge current of 260 A, but that may be for safety rather than service. What's your engine and starter, and presumably it spins up fine?

Jonathan

* Unless we're driving "toy cars". :-)

• 1 year later...