Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel nut cover key

TomB

My SLR split rims have a plastic cover which fastens with a small bolt with a triangular stud pattern. Only having one key, is fine until it's hiding or in the wrong place. Does anyone have a spare or know where I could get one from? 

The cover bolt is female - it has three holes in a triangular layout on a flat head about 15mm across, so the corresponding key has 3 little studs on a flat face.  I wonder whether my circlip pliers would do the job?  Ill have to have a look.   

A bicycle pin spanner may work too. I have a Park tools one and the pins at their closest together are 10mm. For the park tool version you can buy the hardened threaded pins separately so you could make something up. You can exert quite a lot of force using it.

circlip pliers should do it :-)

Ian

• Area Representative

Hi Tom. Sure these are meant to have oodles of different combinations for the wheel key so buying a spare from another set is unlikely to be suitable. Using circlip pliers might do the trick. I've stopped using the original bolt a long time ago and have a simple Allen header bolt and washer in place