Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR 260 MOT

David Brown

Has anyone had any problems getting them through the emissions test? Took mine for its first MOT since I got it and my normal tester said "visual smoke is all that's needed on these". I know he's wrong but just agreed to get an easy pass. Has anyone had any issues with a proper test?

My CSR260 was always emmissions tested during the MOT. Initially it passed fine but after I had it re-mapped by the Two Steves it was a bit of a struggle to get through. It generally had to get very hot and required additional sealing around the end of the exhaust pipe.

Probably best to find a Caterham friendly tester

I must be going mad then ! I'm sure there was a thread on here with a link to a VOSA site that I read and it stated a Caterham seven kit car may be made from new and second hand parts ( smoke test only )  section 18 .

I have a recollection of a cut off date around 1989. 

The cut-off date for emissions testing of amateur-built cars is 1 August 1998, the date the SVA scheme came into force.  Cars first used on or after that date are subject to emissions testing. 

JV

Paul

Good question.  Interestingly my old log book, the blue one had emissions in the special notes next to the text saying it had passed SVA/IVA. The new red log book does not have these emissions so not sure if that info has been moved to a DVLA database that the MOT tester sees when he puts in your reg number?  

As it sounds like your car has had a transplant then I do not know how this is viewed by VOSA?  I would have thought a transplant like this would need inspection and a new emissions level set or it would remain  the same as the original K series?

Nick