Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacements for 16" wheels

Anton

Up until mid February I was running my Seven (140bhp 1.8K SV) on 16" HPC five-spokes with 205/45/16 Toyos.

Severe accident damage means I'll have to replace at least 3 of them, so given that five-spokes are no longer available and following advice that I should get smaller diameter wheels to improve the handling, what wheel diameter/width and tyre size would you recommend for road use only.  I don't want to go down to 13" as I already have ground clearance issues!  I'd appreciate the experience of any SV owners who've changed from the 16" to a smaller size.

What do I need to know to find out if a particular style of wheel from a non-Caterham supplier will fit my car? 

CC have some black Orcus 15" wheels in their Easter sale, they all have marks but very good saving on new price . 

Check your PCD these wheels are the latest type and may not fit older cars  !

What do I need to know to find out if a particular style of wheel from a non-Caterham supplier will fit my car? 

IIRC there have been problems with insufficient spacing on the inside surface... but I can't remember what made contact. Searching for that in the archives might reveal the required clearance and specs.

Jonathan

John - I don't really like the Orcus - it looks even more fragile than the five spoke.  What exactly is PCD?  This is the kind of thing I need to know if I go for aftermarket wheels.

Jonathan - I've had one search which had about 3,000 hits (!) but didn't seem to give the answers I was looking for.  But I'll have another go.  Just try a different search query.........

The PCD is the diameter of the circle on which the mounting studs, and the corresponding holes in the wheel are located, or pitched. 

In other words, if you drew a circle that passed through the centre of each stud, it's diameter would be the PCD. 

I've had one search which had about 3,000 hits (!) but didn't seem to give the answers I was looking for.  But I'll have another go.  Just try a different search query.........

How about these as a starting point? 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:lotus7.club+wheel+clearance
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:lotus7.club+wheel+offset

Good luck

Jonathan

have a play on here to see what tyre sizes match your current to avoid gearing and ride height changes or at least to get an idea of how big a change you're making.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator/

your current set up is equivalent to 185/70 R13 as fitted to lots of old school Caterhams. if that size you want around a 19mm offset. you'll find loads new and second hand in this size with a Ford PCD.

or on a 15 inch wheel 195/50 15 is near enough and you might find that less of a drastic change from what you're currently running than going to a bouncy tall sidewall tyre.

In theory, if all else remains the same, then if you reduce the overall diameter then the offset needs to increase to keep the same geometry - someone more familiar with the newer cars will hopefully know, but I think the newer Caterham wheels that run smaller diameter tyres are about 23mm offset.

Hope that helps :-)

You would not have ground clearance issues on the 13s with an SV as long as you go for the correct size tyres. The tall tyres are I think also required to get the proportions to look right.

20160930_182556.jpg.380a4badfd0d5abe2ff70c1ce600965a.jpg

Those are Caterham Avon CR322s 185x70 R13 and have virtually the same circumference as the 16 inch wheels I had previously fitted. You lose only 2mm in wheel diameter in changing to the 13" wheels.

Rim & Tire Size Calculator.

• Area Representative

Anton

Don't fret about clearance. When I got my 21, it was on the 16" HPC wheels (very good looking wheels) which were shod with 205/45 tyres (these were Avon ZZ3).  I swapped to the multi-spoke 15" wheels and went to 55 profile tyres (195 front 205 rear) (these were Toyo T1R) and the rolling radius was virtually identical. In my experience the additional sidewall improved the ride.