Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HD Quaife Type 9 Close Ratio Gear

Bilbo

Well after 3 months of deliberation I have decided to sell my HD Quaife Type 9 Close Ratio Gear Box.

Its the original box rebuilt 5000 miles ago to the current spec, mostly motorway miles, 2 sprints at Curborough and 4 track days.

2.39,1.53,1.21,1:1. 0.93 with that very shiny Quaife alli lid.

Complete with Quaife 'Quick shift' lever and a nice Spun ally James Whiting gear Knob.

The box mods and lid was £1165, gear stick and gear knob another £100 and if you do not have a box to exchange that's another £125.

Grand Total £1390 so offered at £999. This is with a free BD /crossflow cast iron Bellhousing and the Caterham alli sandwich to box.

Basically 30% off the price.

Its will be still in the car for a test passenger ride by the buyer if he should choose to do so. You can tell from this I am more than happy with its condition.

I live in south London

So any offers, contact me off list Bilbo@bdabs.co.uk. I am only online in the evenings and some of the weekends.

AMENDED

Well following a question it was re-built by Quaife to current spec and has square cut gears. The only reason for selling it is I would like to buy a sequential dog box.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Edited by - bilbo on 20 Feb 2003 20:28:19

Ah I knew I forgot something 1 sprint at MIRA

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Edited by - bilbo on 19 Feb 2003 23:17:24

Well no firm offers yet !

I been asked why I selling it well I like to buy a sequential box

Just posted it to put it back at the top of the list.

Hi All

Well Chris K is not interested at present as he still considering his engine choice. The box has the long input shaft.

So its all still on offer as I was unsure about its second hand value basically I offered it at 30% off anybody like to make a realistic offer..... waits for the silly offer... *smile* *smile* *smile*.

Hi Westy

Thats seems far too low at 35% of its original price basically its just run in...... ignoring the free bits. The alternative is pay near £1400 assuming you do not have a box. That only takes £125 off the price still only 40% of what you would have to pay .

If you interested contact me off line you do get to see its in fine fettle... better offer than most second hand boxes.

Ok still pushing this sale at a reduced at say £850 price.

I am told the long input box is also good for a Zetec and a Vauxhall if the input shaft is cut back . Think the buyer need to have this confirmed.

2nd is 1.54 not 1.53 typo error.

Well I received a few mails that for various reasons that have gone nowhere. Basically they want it later in the year and are the other end of the UK or even further away.

So if I do not get a firm offer in the next couple of days I properly keep the box. I had planned on having a 6 speed sequential fitted for the Lotus 7 club sprint at Curborough on the 17th May, assuming I get a place. In reality is really too late to do that even now as near all my weekends are booked or I am working. So if I do not sell it I will stay with the current for this summer, may be even give up with the idea.

I had hoped to sell it with the buyer seeing the box working fine in the car. I still have one offer but he does not want the box unless he seen it in the car, seems logical to me, and he cannot do that until its too late for Curborough. So I left currently with the choice of order the new box etc and hope I sell it later of stay as existing.

I have dropped the price to £700 for just the box

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Westy

Well I have been offered a LOT more if I sell later in the year.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Then again dad's to busy anyway to get it in before then. Ooooooooooh DAD!!! ☹️

200 bhp, 1700cc Cosworth BD? 1988 Caterham with Brooklands, Quaife 5 speed box, A032's on non standard BM wheels, 22% quick rack,

Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Q 979 CGY

Edited by - oily_rag on 4 Mar 2003 12:43:48

Well it was £465 cheaper or £590 if you do not already have a box, so looks like your going to have to pay the full wack Westy or wait for another. Actually I was never sure if it was an offer anyway.

Think I drop the idea until after the Summer. I was tying to sell the lot to a new builder.