Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Skinny Rears

ECG1000

Hello all.

I have a 360R with 6" front wheels and 8" rear - Avon ZZS tyres.
Just wondering if anyone with a 360 (or similar power output) runs 6" rears?
I'm thinking it might reduce the speed/effort required for this kind of thing:

3C4A1384.jpg.5d83953e4fb7a49debe1cf30b0acb975.jpg

Edit to add: Car is a 6 speed

My 360R has a 6sp and I don't think it would take much provocation to loosen the backend, with 8" ZZSs on the road, 6" I bet wont last long.    Have a look at the Chris Harris Caterham Supersport R video on youtube, it has the same engine as the 360R and 6" on the rear, all be it on CR500s.    

If you want more sideways try the Caterham drift experience setup.  The car I drove was a Sigma, and  that car didn't want to go straight :-) at any speed.  From memory it had the following.

No front ARB, tight rear ARB, 6" rears with CR322 and I bet they where pumped up to explode and jacked up rear ride height.  

The rake and stiffness of the car has a huge effect on the tendency of the tail to wag.  I recently fitted wide tyres at the back, and due to clearance issue moved to the 2nd softest rear ARB setting, put lower profile tyres on and its definitely more tail happy now. Even at low speeds out of junctions or 2nd gear 90 degree turn, the tail can be provoked. Its a 150bhp K series, so give or take a 270 in modern parlance. Its actually one of the really rare R283 models  *blah*   

Thank you very much for the replies.
I forgot about the CH video. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about - nothing silly, just a little play at low speeds.

Ah yes, the rear ARB. It had slipped my mind that it's adjustable. It's currently at the position 2 (where I set it when I built the car) going from soft to stiff. I'll set it at full stiff position 4 and see how I get on.
Hopefully it won't induce aggressive lift of oversteer characteristics!