Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Making it faster

Robert Cadiz

So I have a 2008 duratec r400 that has been upgraded to 240 bhp.  It has a BGH sporting close 5 speed gearbox.  It is by no means slow, I just want it to go faster!

Not just corner or stop faster, I want it to accelerate and go down the straights faster. 

In the words of Walter Rohrl:
"A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it."

So apart from selling it and getting a 620r, what are my options?  I still want it driveable and reliable.  I feel like a 2.3 or 2.5 would suit the gearbox well but without the obvious "throw loads of money at the engine" what else is there?

Different diff?  Top speed is not that important.

Six speed gearbox?

Robert

So, buy a super bike. I race bikes for a hobby with ThunderSportGB​ and Bemsee. I have raced in superstock 1000 on an ex 2011 Padgett's fireblade with top 10 finishes. I have a 2006 blade which is built to hrc endurance spec. I currently race a minitwin and have podium and race wins in that class. I know what fast is on a superbike and buying one won't make my Caterham go any faster.

As for driver training i have two IAM qualifications. I have taken numerous instructor sessions at trackdays. I have also booked days with CAT and carlimits. I know there is loads of room to improve my skill as a driver and that i am working on. I'd race cars and bikes if i had the time and money. I have little of either.

I know the car is fast. At trackdays it is brilliant but i have to work hard on the brakes and in the corners. Which is also a lot of fun.

But i also want to launch down the straights with an OMG! From the passenger.

So an aero screen, less drag. Seems a sensible cost effective option. Maybe gearing, I've seen just over 144 on the gps so can afford to loose a little top speed.

The car tips the scales at 565 kg. What are the options to make it lighter. Im not a fatty but at 83 kg losing a few pounds would always help.

Or on the scale of diminishing returns am i on a loosing battle?

Thanks,

Robert

An aeroscreen makes a big difference but after that I'd say it gets very expensive very quickly to get any more power or make the car significantly lighter. Lithium battery, carbon panels, titanium exhaust and fasteners but you're into a few thousand pounds to loose 20-30kgs.

• Support Team

144 at what RPM? Sounds like the gearing is too tall to me and I'm not convinced a 5 speed really works with a 2.0 Duratec. I run a 3.9 diff with a 6 speed box and 260 bhp at 8500rpm. Maxes out at 130mph but it gets there pretty quickly *driving*

Aeroscreen is a good bet too.

Hi Robert,

I hope you're well?

I would look at four key things:

1) Fit an Elite or Sadev sequential 6 speed box.

2) Fit an aero screen.

3) Fit a 4:2:1 manifold & exhaust fabricated by somebody who really understands exhausts and pipe & silencer sizing.

4) Then get it mapped by somebody like Troy at Northampton Motorsport or at Track n' Road in Rainham.

Regards, Simon

I would not recommend a Nissan Micra  !!! We took both rag tops in today for a small service and was given a Micra pool car to use for the day , I don't know if other road users think they are a joke or old persons car ! But in less than ten miles we had cars pull out in front of us cut in and generally we felt bullied, I was pleased to give it back .

Car always feels fast the first day home. But after a day, just not fast enough.

Cycle Si, hope you're still happy with the lights​ :) car has been mapped at Northampton Motorsports, Troy says I'm limited buy the age of the engine as it's an early duratec.

Checked the build report, car has a quaife 3.92 LSD.

I did look at a supercharger option.  And initially the cost looks very good.  But then the engine needs to be rebuilt with low compression pistons and the cost no longer looks so good.

I tried I sequential gearbox today and was surprised by how useable it was when in traffic.  

Robert

I had a CSR260 with six speed box and found it very low geared for road use. I was looking into changing the diff but sold it and got a 620R instead as I wanted a more track focused car anyway. I use aeroscreen for track days and it does make an amazing difference to the car. It is probably the most cost effective performance upgrade I have made.

The 620R does feel a bit faster than the CSR but not massively so. I would not describe it as OMG fast like a bike can feel. The sequential box is great though and no problem on the road despite what some will say.