Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nankang AR1 track day tyre compared wth R888R and ZZR

L7 FST

Being a bit of a tyre tart, I recently bought a set of Nankang AR1 tyres for road use, mainly because I really liked the look of their unusual minimalist tread pattern, and I was getting bored with my excellent R888Rs.  

AR1s are about £100 a set cheaper than ZZRs, and about £50 less than most Toyo prices.  They are quite heavy, though the tyre walls don't seem as stiff as the 888s. 

Yesterday at Snetterton I couldn't resist trying them out on track, comparing them directly with a set of soft compound ZZRs.  No timing allowed, of course, but they felt almost as quick as the ZZRs and slightly more progressive, with none of the tyre squeal I found with R888Rs. I was very impressed - their feel reminds me of the old-style 888s, which I much preferred on track to the new-style..

​The only downside is that in road use they are noticeably noisier than either the Avons or the Toyos.  But they are relatively inexpensive, look great, and handle beautifully.  So definitely recommended *thumbs_up_thumb* 

Stephen

PS thumbs up also to Javelin, for as usual organising a brilliant, disciplined track day, with seven hours of open pitlane track time, all for £149.  A sell-out, of course, but it never felt crowded and there was no queuing.  A perfect day *smile*