Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Headlamp Query

Manstein

I recently had the head lamps on my car changed to LED inserts. I was  leaving a club meeting in the dark a few days ago when it was noticed the outer ring of leds ( six separate units) was flickering, you wouldn't notice this if your sat in the car on low or main beam. I've just checked the lamps today and the led units in the outer ring seem to vary between completely off or flickering at random on both lamps!

The suppliers have sent me a new set of lamps but before I start pulling the things apart I wonder if any members have any thoughts on the cause, seems strange that both units are faulty. Main beam part of the lamps work very well.

Thanks

Don't think I've seen that described before. What type are they?

It's happening on both sides so a single dodgy connection is unlikely. Presumably they're wired to the power feeds separately... there isn't some sort of common controller?

What's the outer ring in traditional terms: full, dip, side? How about rigging a temporary jump feed for testing purposes that doesn't use the current switches or relay? Ditto earth.

What's the battery voltage at tickover, and does the flickering go away when the engine runs faster?

I'd put my money on both having failed separately, and the only common factor being the type or batch.

Jonathan

Jonathan thanks for the pointers I suppose the outer ring is essentially side lights. On original fitting the lights worked fine so possibly vibration may have loosened something but unlikely on both sides.

I'm no expert on the black arts of electricity  so I might get a higher authority to have a look as the supplier is 300 miles away. Just remembered I'm out on a Yorkshire Dales jaunt with the LADS on Sunday so might leave them alone till then.