Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ready for winter use ?

jpotter

This is all new to me, I think according to some of you I may have it all wrong !

I am still driving my seven and won't stop for those nasty winter times, just get out the full weather equipment ..... hat, gloves and tonneau.

I feel my car needs a little extra help to, I was thinking of waxoyling the underside, bottom of fuel tank etc, any advice greatfully accepted.

My question relates to the inside of the cockpit and the engine bay, how is it best to treat these to maintain the inside ? If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much, I am off to do a spot more work !

James

Similar to you I am using mine through the winter. The advice I got was along the lines of:

Engine bay and inner side panels+bonnet exposed ali, WD40. I am re applying whenever I take the bonnet off.

Under the car - WD40

Exposed nuts and bolts - Grease

Suspension arms - Clear helicopter tape

Front carpet mats - replaced with trimmed rubber mats.

Windscreen, Rainex (Brilliant if you redo it regularly)

Oh, and a silly hat for the passenger plus a nice dry cloth for the inside of the screen!

Minty

Helicopter tape is 3M Part No 08210 costs about £16 for 2.5m x100mm wide

It was recommended to me but I couldn't find it so ended up with a cheaper clear tape which looks OK if you're careful applying it and can be removed OK. It should stop the coating getting attacted by salt and stones. Not a replacement for Armourfend, if you are inclined to cover the paintwork with plastic tape.

Thanks for the responses my plan of attack is to WD40 the engine bay, and the internal panels. What about the foot wells, WD40 would make it awfully slippery !!

The underneath is going to get a nice coat of Waxoyl tonight, to keep that nasty salty stuff away !

Any ideas on the footwell anyone ?

James

> Any ideas on the footwell anyone ?

WD40 along the lower edges of the chassis tube that runs across the car just infront of the seats. Take the seat bases out and WD40/Waxoyl along the outer edges of the car - this is where salt tends to accumulate. I wouldn't worry about the footwells themselves (apart from the outer edges). Just clean 'em regularly?

The Caterham rubber mats are a good (albeit slightly expensive) addition.

Edited by - aideen on 7 Dec 2000 18:59:04

Suggest you try GT40 (no, not the Ford). Rather like WD40, but has teflon added for extra lubrication (wooah Anna) but best of all it smells a lot more pleasant. This can be important when you have the heater on (YES, I am using one!) 'cos WD 40 gets rather 'niffy'.

Have used cans of the stuff on my 'Team Titanium Marin' and it's worked well & that gets subjected to the worst c$&p we can ride through!!!