Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SPEEDO CABLE REPLACEMENT 2002 KSeries 1.6

Stew Mccracken

Hi Everyone, I am new on here but have a snag with my speedo cable, it stopped working.  Spoke with Redline, (top guys) and they suggest that I disconnect the cable at the head in the first instance to see if it still turns when car is in motion.  Has anyone known the head to be the culprit is it more likely the gearbox end?

• Area Representative

2002 car should have an electronic speedo (unless not actually a 2002 build car, and its an earlier car that was not registered until 2002?) , so should have a sender visible from under the car at the back end of the gearbox on the RHS.

Earlier cars have a small angled gearbox between the gearbox and mechanical cable in the same location. 

Either way, you first need to determine if you have an output from the gearbox. You'll need to remove the sender or angle 'box. There should be a short square quill that drives the sender (or angle 'box). I've seen a couple of sheared off quills.

My 2002 car has electronic speedo with sender unit screwed into drivers side of gearbox. Accessible from underneath. Wires can chafe through as this sender twists back and forth if mounting 'top hat' works loose in the socket. I put loctite on flange of top hat and circlip to hold it.

My sender unit fell off somewhere in the Black Forest a decade or so ago and dangled around on it's wires..  It'd come unscrewed.  Screwed it back on and looped some temporary tie-wraps around it in an attempt to stop it doing it again.

Still got same ties on it . . .

The top hat threaded section isn't a tight fit, the circlip doesn't stop it rotating, and I think it had simply spun the top hat and come unscrewed - it stop working just after reversing out of a parking spot.

I have just sorted mine

​I started  at the head & it didnt turn, then went to top of angle drive and that didnt turn, then the bottom of the angle drive and that didnt turn, thankfully the gearbox end did turn. It seems that the 1"  connector on gearbox wasnt fitted properly. My fault again.