Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Engine/box Removal - tips?

finmac

I have removed the engines from my old VX and Crossflows but never a K series. Now I know it's been asked a thousand times  (but the search engine is rubbish!).  So looking for advice on removing a K series - the car has DS with bell-housing tank and 6 speed.  Going to remove the whole lot (engine and box).

thanks!

Surely the same principle. Disconnect everything. Label as required. Remove any bits that stop you getting the unit out through the aperture. Lift slowly and carefully. Watch for gearbox oil coming out of the back end as propshaft is pulled out !

I use a machine mart load leveller to adjust the angle of the engine / box on exit / entry. Car always stays on its wheels as I need to roll it backwards as the engine comes out, as lifting off a fixed RSJ.

Last 2 times I've managed to destroy the reverse light switch so next time I'll remove it first! The two electrical connection pins are easily snapped off!

Ian

I have just taken out a k-series and 6 speed box in the last few weeks. I took the engine out on its own as there was no need to take th egearbox out. Then in the end took the gear box out too because the speedo connection to the top hat wasnt on properly. I put the engine and gearbox back in as one unit.

• My tips after doing it for the first time are:
  • photo everything prior to disconnection, it will be useful for future
  • Label everything that comes off, group fasteners etc
  • Use a load leveller they are very useful
  • I stripped of quite a few things from the engine in advance to avoid hitting anything. In the end it probably would of been fine as with a load leveller its very controlled
  • support the propshaft before it falls out of the gearbox
  • drain the gearbox oil first before removal.

2 people to get the engine out / in helps. checking lcearances etc while the other moves the crane. I actually had my car on wheel dollies and it was easier to move the car so that the load doesnt swing (if you move the crane.