Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch clearance

Trevor Phillips

Trevor, if you look up my ramblings of last year and the problems I had fitting a 7.25" AP clutch to a QED flywheel on a Caterham dry sumped K series - I ended up stripping the first 2mm of spline from the front clutch plate because it could not engage sufficiently.

The engine had to come out and life ended up being a compromise, with QED making me a one off flywheel, with a knat left testicle of clearance between clutch and bellhousing. This left me with most of the front plate's spline length being taken up, but not ALL.

QED suggested that this was not unusual but then with the Caterham drysump bellhousing on a K series you have very little space to play with. I would have thought, with the Vx set-up, you had sufficent space, assuming the flywheel profile is correct, to engage all of the spine - but I'm sure a VX owner will come along with a more knowledgeable comment.

One of the issues that came out of this mind blowing experience with QED was that "apparently" AP changed the dish on their plates and QED had to grind a couple mil off the end of the front plate to prevent it rubbing on the flywheel bolts.

I can't comment on how true this statement is but it might be worth checking out, in case there is the choice of an alternative dish on the spline insert that takes you nearer the g/box.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I've got a 7.25 QM clutch in my Vx. The plates do fully engage on the spline although the plates are dished to provide clearance for the flywheel bolts and to sit on the spline correctly. I'm afraid that's all I can pass on. I had quite a few problems in getting my clutch to work consistantly, but the problems were release bearing issues above all. good Luck.