Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 speed gearbox oil

robindunscombe

Colin,

I don't disagree with your sentiment. However, knowing the durability testing that Ford did all those years ago I think it's safe to bet that grief to the transmission was far in excess of anything that you will give it. Remember a typical durability cycle will represent 150,000 miles.

Sure, there are weaknesses in all mechanical components, but I bet there has not been a proven (sic) standard lubrication related failure on record.

Really must do some work *eek*

Steve B

Ford were quite picky about the oil with this box. They liked it to have their own 'Red oil' as it was known, and people have said on here that they have had problems when they didn't use it. However, I havent used it for a few years now and have had only one gearbox failure, and that wasn't oil related. Ford have stopped making the red stuff now anyway.

In the early days of this gearbox, Ford received a lot of complaints about the quality of the gearchange, in particular going into 1st whilst cold and subsequently, so I am told, specced a different oil that improved this.

I remember a company Sierra I had in 1982 (what a load of c**p it was too) that had just this problem.

The other day I came across a posting from Ammo on this subject where he recommended a Castrol oil (but can't remember the spec. now), which he said vastly improved the quality of the gearchange. Maybe he will be along soon to enlighten us *smile*

Brent

7 in bits, LOTS of bits ☹️