Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

(More on) Wheel and Tyre Weights

jonhill

I've just got some KN Minators fitted with RE720 tyres. I expected that wheel and tyre combination to be noticeably heavier than a part worn 032R on an SLR split rim. However they seemed to weigh about the same, and this was confirmed my bathroom scales, which read ~12 Kg for the KN/RE720 versus ~11.5 Kg for the split rim/032R.

So, is a 032R much heavier than a RE720? I would expect the opposite if anything. If not, why does a KN Minator at £55 +VAT weight about the same as a split rim ali @ £220 + VAT? Is it that the split rim is better quality and therefore stronger? Unless the KN packs up under stress this is not an issue, and no reason to spend 4 times as much on it. Caterham fit both types to different models, could it be an exercise in marketing?

Cheers,

Jon

Took the scales into the garage the other day, and discovered that new RE720's and Yoko 32R's in 185/60/13 were about the same. CR500's in 175/55/13 were a kg or so lighter, and Avon race wets were 2kg lighter still. The race wets, on a wheel, are just soooooooooo light.

So I don't think 720's are that weighty... Yoko stuff is on a par.

Given that all the racing takes place on KN's - do you think they are likely to be weak? I've only seen them damaged in accidents, usually where the brake disc had been snapped in tow as well!!!

Edited by - jwyatt on 19 Feb 2003 16:20:34